Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

Post by Tige D. Chastai » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Recently I installed Red Hat 5.1.  When I try to run xvidtune or fstool I
get an error message telling me
it can't open the display (for xvidtune) and for fstool it tells me that it
can't find the binding.tcl file and the $DISPLAY environment variable isn't
set (gives me suggestion for binding.tcl, in which the file is there and I
start fstool from there, but it still can't find it).

My question:  What type of settings are valid for the envir var. DISPLAY?

Anyone had this problem?

Thanks,

Tige D. Chastain

Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi, try to export your DISPLAY with:

export DISPLAY=":0.0"

that should work!

        greetings tg

Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

Post by George Bons » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> My question:  What type of settings are valid for the envir var. DISPLAY?

> Anyone had this problem?

> Thanks,

> Tige D. Chastain

If you are using bash, something like this might work:

export $DISPLAY=`hostname`:0.0

Notice that those a backticks not single quotes. In other words, do a hostname
command format it like this:

export $DISPLAY=linuxbox:0.0

if your machine is called linuxbox.

--
George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?

Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

Post by Serhat Sakar » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

: If you are using bash, something like this might work:

: export $DISPLAY=`hostname`:0.0

If you're using tcsh (like me), you can use:

setenv DISPLAY `hostname`:0.0

Type 'echo $DISPLAY' or something along those lines to view
the current contents.

Regards,

Serhat Sakarya
--
If you wish te email me, please replace '[127.0.0.1]' in the 'from'
address with 'freud.et.tudelft.nl'.

Post by Gary L. Hennig » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

| [snip]
|
| : If you are using bash, something like this might work:
|
| : export $DISPLAY=`hostname`:0.0
|
| If you're using tcsh (like me), you can use:
|
| setenv DISPLAY `hostname`:0.0
|
| Type 'echo $DISPLAY' or something along those lines to view
| the current contents.

Actually, if you're on a local box you don't need the hostname at all,
or the desktop if you only have a single display adapter, or you have
a dual display system and only want to use the first one. For bash you
do

export DISPLAY=:0

for csh and it's variants

setenv DISPLAY :0

Gary

Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

Post by xcit » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:38:33 -0500,
Thomas Glanzmann wrote

  |Hi, try to export your DISPLAY with:
  |
  |export DISPLAY=":0.0"

That'll work for bash (the default shell in most if not all linuxes).
For t/csh, use `setenv DISPLAY :0.0`.

--

Linux - the choice of a GNU generation.

Key fingerprint = E6 30 57 68 E9 3E 4B 79 5E B7 DE EF F8 DF 90 8F
Public Key Block at:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA883405D

Post by mvr » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Recently I installed Red Hat 5.1.  When I try to run xvidtune or fstool I
> get an error message telling me
> it can't open the display (for xvidtune) and for fstool it tells me that it
> can't find the binding.tcl file and the $DISPLAY environment variable isn't
> set (gives me suggestion for binding.tcl, in which the file is there and I
> start fstool from there, but it still can't find it).

> My question:  What type of settings are valid for the envir var. DISPLAY?

> Anyone had this problem?

> Thanks,

> Tige D. Chastain

  set the variable to ":0.0"
in /etc/profile, add a line as follows-
DISPLAY=":0.0";export DISPLAY

Post by Andy Jefferso » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> Recently I installed Red Hat 5.1.  When I try to run xvidtune or fstool I
>> get an error message telling me
>> it can't open the display (for xvidtune) and for fstool it tells me that it
>> can't find the binding.tcl file and the $DISPLAY environment variable isn't
>> set (gives me suggestion for binding.tcl, in which the file is there and I
>> start fstool from there, but it still can't find it).
>> My question:  What type of settings are valid for the envir var. DISPLAY?
>   set the variable to ":0.0"
> in /etc/profile, add a line as follows-
> DISPLAY=":0.0";export DISPLAY

The valid settings are
hostname:screenname

so if you have machines called 'fred' and 'bill', then you can set it to
fred:0, or tom:0 etc. The extra '.0' is probably a bit redundant but I
usually go with it also. If you want to display things on the machine
that you are sat at you can omit the hostname part. The benefits of DISPLAY
come in when you are sat at 'fred' and want to display an application on
'bill' - you set the DISPLAY on 'fred' to be bill:0.0 and start up your
application - it appears on bill's screen.
See 'man X' for more.

HTH
--
Andy Jefferson

Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

Post by Kevin Crosb » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Here is a related question...

If I login as root or a user, and then issue a su -, then suddenly programs
issued from the new login cannot access my screen, even after issuing a setenv
DISPLAY `hostname`:0.0  (in the tcsh/csh shell).  But after issuing an xhost +
in the original login window, it works.  I would rather not issue an xhost +,
since it opens up my machine to others when I am online.  However, xhost +
`hostname` doesn't fix the problem.

Why in the world would I need to issue an xhost + to let my own machine display
to my own screen?!!!  Could this be because I have changed the name of my
computer in the /etc/HOSTNAME and /etc/sysconfig/network files from
localhost.localdomain?  Is there something I'm missing?

I am using RedHat 5.1 using the X_SuSE_Elsa_GLoria server for my Diamond Fire
GL 1000 Pro video card.

--

                                Kevin Crosby

1. netcfg: TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

When trying to run NETCFG I get the following error
        TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

This also happens when I try to run ethercfg.  This is a standalone
fresh install on a machine that I want to get up on the network.  The
NIC cards are in the box but not configured yet.  I am running Redhat
5.2.

I have tried the following with no luck:
   export DISPLAY=:0.0
   export DISPLAY=:0
These were mentioned in some other posts I found as possible
solutions.

Please remove NOSPAM from email address before replying via Email

2. DOSEMU 0.52 Problems with Kernel v1.1.31 !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

4. Thank you newsgroup!!!!

5. Setting the DISPLAY Environment variable

6. Need HOST Connectivity?

7. Displaying environment variables dynamically in a Korn Shell Script

8. Netscape

9. Display value of environment variable

10. Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

11. Automatically Set DISPLAY Environment Variable after rlogin

12. What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

13. DISPLAY Environment Variable