sendmail-config vs. sendmail RPMS?

Post by Mitchell Maltenfor » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I just got the RPMs for sendmail 8.9.2, and figured updating was a good
thing to do, as the updates incorporate better security.  (I haven't gotten
the bugs out of using my Linux box with my ISP yet, but I'm going to take a
whack again once I get my new ISP account set up)/

I'm using RH5.2, which had sendmail 8.8.7 and sendmail-cf 8.8.7 as RPMS.

The new version has RPMs for sendmail, sendmail-cf, and sendmail-config.
According to the query in the RPM for sendmail-config, "This is needed,
eventually there will be multiple configs to choose from."

However, the files it contains  (list follows) conflict with those installed
by sendmail.

Do I stick it all in, using the --force option in rpm?  Do I leave out
sendmail-config?  Why is there a sendmail-config anyway?

Thanks in advance.

CONTENTS OF SENDMAIL-CONFIG
/etc/mail/access
/etc/mail/access.db
/etc/mail/aliases
/etc/mail/aliases.db
/etc/mail/domaintable
/etc/mail/domaintable.db
/etc/mail/mailertable
/etc/mail/mailertable.db
/etc/mail/majordomo
/etc/mail/majordomo.db
/etc/mail/relay-domains
/etc/mail/sendmail.ct
/etc/mail/sendmail.cw
/etc/mail/sendmail.hf
/etc/mail/virtusertable
/etc/mail/virtusertable.db
/etc/sendmail.cf

Post by Villy Kru » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>However, the files it contains  (list follows) conflict with those installed
>by sendmail.

>Do I stick it all in, using the --force option in rpm?  Do I leave out
>sendmail-config?  Why is there a sendmail-config anyway?

>Thanks in advance.

The standard redhat config files goes into /etc mainly the following files.

        /etc/aliases
        /etc/sendmail.cf
        /etc/sendmail.cw

It appears the new rpm will put all the config files in /etc/mail and that
won't conflict.  However, if you don't uninstall the original sendmail packages
you might get confused as to whether the aliases file is in /etc/aliases or
/etc/mail/aliases, and the same for sendmail.cw.

Villy

sendmail-config vs. sendmail RPMS?

Post by James Bour » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:34:00 -0700, Mitchell M did say with great verbosity:
:
:Do I stick it all in, using the --force option in rpm?  Do I leave out
:sendmail-config?  Why is there a sendmail-config anyway?

Hi,
In case you are interested, We've just posted a sendmail-rhcn-8.9.3 RPM on
our WWW site at http://www.affinity-systems.ab.ca/

It comes with a default sendmail.cf that will work for any system delivering
mail locally, and complete .mc files in /usr/doc/sendmail-rhcn-8.9.3/cf.
The .cf takes advantage of thinks like the access.db, host status
information, and RunAsUser mail.

It is a drop-in replacement for any Red Hat sendmail RPM.  The source RPM is
also available.

Regards
Jim

:
:Thanks in advance.

--

Affinity Systems Inc.         | WWW: http://www.affinity-systems.ab.ca
Everything Unix               | Linux:  The choice of a GNU generation