Help!!! PnP Modem not responding

Post by Whitney Warwi » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

For some reason my modem is not responding. I booted under dos to get
the modem to be recognized then did a warm boot. the system came up
and ran dip. i had the script send an ATZ command and for some reason
the modem did not send back an OK. Can anyone help me. Also I read
somewhere that there is a package for PnP modems. Where is it? Can
anyone help me......I would forever be in debt.

whitney warwick

Post by Schic » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> For some reason my modem is not responding. I booted under dos to get
> the modem to be recognized then did a warm boot. the system came up
> and ran dip. i had the script send an ATZ command and for some reason
> the modem did not send back an OK. Can anyone help me. Also I read
> somewhere that there is a package for PnP modems. Where is it? Can
> anyone help me......I would forever be in debt.

  This may not be what your after, have you tried loadlin. I haven't got
a PnP modem, but maybe you can get the modem set up in an OS other than
Linux and then use loadlin to boot into Linux.
  Sorry but it's all I can think of since I don't use PnP hardware.

 Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.
 Kevin L. Schick
        A proud member of the Saskatoon Linux Group.

Help!!! PnP Modem not responding

Post by Randy Bake » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am having exactly the same problem with my modem, also a PnP.  I got
the isapnptools package off the Net, but still can't get it to respond.

--
Randy Baker
Transport Methods Group

Help!!! PnP Modem not responding

Post by Larry Barlo » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I got my PnP modem to work with isapnptools.  Put isapnptools in a
search engine and that will give you the web page for these utilities.

Post by Barnett Hs » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I am having exactly the same problem with my modem, also a PnP.  I got
> the isapnptools package off the Net, but still can't get it to respond.

I also could not get it to work.  Eventually, after asking on
a Linux Plug & Play mailing list and asking the manufacturer
of my computer, I was able to get it to work.  The solution
was to disable Plug & Play in the computer's system BIOS.

If your Plug & Play modem is a US Robotics one, I believe
you can disable Plug & Play on the modem itself if you
don't want to disable Plug & Play in the computer's system
BIOS.

---

University of California, Riverside  http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~barnett/

Post by JEREMY SWI » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: I got my PnP modem to work with isapnptools.  Put isapnptools in a
: search engine and that will give you the web page for these utilities.

: >

: > >
: > > For some reason my modem is not responding. I booted under dos to get
: > > the modem to be recognized then did a warm boot. the system came up
: > > and ran dip. i had the script send an ATZ command and for some reason
: > > the modem did not send back an OK. Can anyone help me. Also I read
: > > somewhere that there is a package for PnP modems. Where is it? Can
: > > anyone help me......I would forever be in debt.
: > >
: >
: >   This may not be what your after, have you tried loadlin. I haven't got
: > a PnP modem, but maybe you can get the modem set up in an OS other than
: > Linux and then use loadlin to boot into Linux.
: >   Sorry but it's all I can think of since I don't use PnP hardware.
: >
: > --
: > ----------------------------------------------------------
: >  Hardware, n.:
: >         The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.
: > ----------------------------------------------------------
: >  Kevin L. Schick
: >         A proud member of the Saskatoon Linux Group.
: > ----------------------------------------------------------

Use isapnptools.  You can find it at www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp.  This
will recognise your pnp devices after the kernel boots up.  You should be
ready to go then.

Jeremy

1. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).

Just so you know I'm not crazy:
        It's not an interrupt problem.  The same thing happens with an
        external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
        Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.

        It's not a setserial problem.  If minicom isn't talking to the
        right port, then nothing gets echoed back.  Only when it's talking
        to the right port do I even see the echoing.

        I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling  it to ignore
        DTR.  However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
        connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
        a bit draconian :)

        statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0.  I can give more info
        if necessary.

        The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
        Fax/Modem.  The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.

Any ideas?  I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

                Me
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

2. TERM works, but shells do not!?

3. EtherExpress 10 PNP Will not respond - Help

4. Getting rsh to run su -c properly

5. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

6. Some Question about Performance

7. Problem with KPPP and Aopen FM56-ITU modem *sorry, modem is not responding*

8. Question: How to run Linux from an Iomega Jaz drive?

9. Modem not responding! Help!

10. supraexpress 288i pnp not responding to AT commands

11. help: My SuperExpress 33.6 PnP internal modem does not work.

12. Help: Gateway Telepath 28.8 PnP modem not working even w/ isapnp

13. Help: PnP Modem not recognized