X Windows/Trident 9440 SVGA Card

Post by Steve Sob » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

:
: I too am cursed with one of these * cards.  Contrary to the second
: poster's opinion, it works *better* with X 3.1.2 .  Asking about this
: same problem here, I was told that limiting the 'virtual desktop' (ie,
: the desktop that is bigger than the screen, is one thing to try.

Could it be a Slackware thing??!!!???!!!

I use Red Hat 4.0, XFree 3.2 and a TGUI9440AGI and get the same nice
bright colors and sharp display I get in Windows NT.

--

   Professional | I just realized that to run Netscape from my Win NT Start
     Internet   | Menu I have to type Ctl-Esc, P(rograms), A(pps), I(nternet),

X Windows/Trident 9440 SVGA Card

Post by Remco Blaakme » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

9440 SVGA Card:

>> > I've just installed the Slackware 96 version of Linux and am having
>> > trouble getting X windows to run. As of now I can only get it to run in
>> > 320x200 resolution. This looks really ugly;) I'm using the svga driver but
>> > can't seem to get the default resolution to change, I'v been changing
>> > settings in the XF86Config file but to no avail. The card I have is a
>> > Trident 9440 with 1mb of dram. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> Make sure you are using XFree86-3.2

>I too am cursed with one of these * cards.  Contrary to the second
>poster's opinion, it works *better* with X 3.1.2 .  Asking about this
>same problem here, I was told that limiting the 'virtual desktop' (ie,
>the desktop that is bigger than the screen, is one thing to try.

Strange. The Trident 9440 cards aren't even supported in XFree83 3.1.2. Are you
sure you don't have a beta version like 3.1.2G or so? That is a beta version
that came out after 3.1.2 and before 3.2. I have used XFree86 3.2 with a
Trident 9440AGi card for a while and with no problems. Now I have another
card, but I don't remember having much problems with the card.

One tip for all you Trident owners: Place a line 'Option "med_dram"' in the
"Device" section in your XF86Config. This will allow for higher refresh
rates. Of course, the RAM on the card must be fast enough for this (I tried
it with 70 ns DRAM) and your monitor must support the higher refresh rates.
But there is one way to find out...

Remco
--
Unox, the worst Operating System

Post by David Welto » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I have one. It's nice for the $15 I paid it ;-)
> 3.1.2 doesn't support the 9440!
> In 3.2 using XF86Setup, it worked like a charm.
> His problem being limited to 320x200 doesn't have anything to do with
> virtual desktops.
> It is caused because his 9440 is an unknown chipset for the 3.1.2 server,
> and it can only set it in the only "always-there" mode:320x200, 256 colors.
> It's good to play xdoom, though ;-)

Ooops, I have a 9400cxi :-)  Which *does* work better under 3.1.2 than
3.2 , at least as far as my experience goes.

--
David Welton

Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
                                --Linuxista--

Post by afade » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

-> > I have one. It's nice for the $15 I paid it ;-)
-> > 3.1.2 doesn't support the 9440!

I've got a 9440 on my server.  I don't usally run Xwindows on the
machine, but when I do the more recient versions of 3.1.2 work.  I've
considered going to 3.2, but ... I'm of the school do fix it unless it's
broke.

Post by Roeland Th. Jans » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> : same problem here, I was told that limiting the 'virtual desktop' (ie,
> : the desktop that is bigger than the screen, is one thing to try.
> Could it be a Slackware thing??!!!???!!!

of course not. if the X is the same version, there is no difference.

trying to point to some package manager because some installtion doesn't go
well, doesn't help.

what about pointing out how o run the config ? (it's really simple.)

--
Grobbebol's Home (Linux 2.0.xx i586)

Post by jdever » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

--------------6CF5ED53629F1583296DBD11

Roeland Th. Jansen wrote:

> In alt.os.linux Steve Sobol <sjso...@nacs.net> wrote:
> > David Welton (dav...@efn.org) wrote:
> > : same problem here, I was told that limiting the 'virtual desktop' (ie,
> > : the desktop that is bigger than the screen, is one thing to try.

> > Could it be a Slackware thing??!!!???!!!

> of course not. if the X is the same version, there is no difference.

> trying to point to some package manager because some installtion doesn't go
> well, doesn't help.

> what about pointing out how o run the config ? (it's really simple.)

** I have 9440agi Video, and it now running on 800x600 resolution.
my problem is that it is only showing 16bit colors.  can anybody
help me figure how to get 24 or 32 bit color out of my cheapo
video card?? thanks

--------------6CF5ED53629F1583296DBD11

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
# If you don't have a floating point coprocessor and emacs, Mosaic or other
# programs take long to start up, try moving the Type1 and Speedo directory
# to the end of this list (or comment them out).
#

    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

# For OSs that support Dynamically loaded modules, ModulePath can be
# used to set a search path for the modules.  This is currently supported
# for Linux ELF, FreeBSD 2.x and NetBSD 1.x.  The default path is shown
# here.

#    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this is an optional section which is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.  Dynamically loadable
# modules are currently supported only for Linux ELF, FreeBSD 2.x
# and NetBSD 1.x.  Currently, dynamically loadable modules are used
# only for some extended input (XInput) device drivers.
# **********************************************************************
#
# Section "Module"
#
# This loads the module for the Joystick driver
#
# Load "xf86Jstk.so"
#
# EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received.  This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

#    NoTrapSignals

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

#    DontZap

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences.  This allows clients to receive these key events.

#    DontZoom

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

#       DisableVidModeExtension

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

#       AllowNonLocalXvidtune

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

#       DisableModInDev

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

#       AllowNonLocalModInDev

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Keyboard section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol    "Standard"

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line

#    Protocol   "Xqueue"

    AutoRepeat  500 5
# Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be required
# when using pre-R6 clients
#    ServerNumLock

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Xleds      1 2 3

# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

#    LeftAlt     Meta
#    RightAlt    ModeShift
#    RightCtl    Compose
#    ScrollLock  ModeLock

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.

#    XkbDisable

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    XkbModel    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    XkbModel    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
# or:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
#    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#    XkbRules    "xfree86"
#    XkbModel    "pc101"
#    XkbLayout   "us"
#    XkbVariant  ""
#    XkbOptions  ""

    XkbKeymap   "xfree86(us)"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "Microsoft"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#    Protocol   "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

#    BaudRate   9600
#    SampleRate 150

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

    Emulate3Buttons
    Emulate3Timeout    50

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#    ChordMiddle

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Xinput section -- this is optional and is required only if you
# are using extended input devices.  This is for example only.  Refer
# to the XF86Config man page for a description of the options.
# **********************************************************************
#
# Section "Xinput"
#    SubSection "WacomStylus"
#        Port "/dev/ttyS1"
#        DeviceName "Wacom"
#    EndSubSection
#    SubSection "WacomCursor"
#        Port "/dev/ttyS1"
#    EndSubSection
#    SubSection "WacomEraser"
#        Port "/dev/ttyS1"
#    EndSubSection
#
#    SubSection "Elographics"
#        Port "/dev/ttyS1"
#        DeviceName "Elo"
#        MinimumXPosition 300
#        MaximumXPosition 3500
#        MinimumYPosition 300
#        MaximumYPosition 3500
#        Screen 0
#        UntouchDelay 10
#        ReportDelay 10
#    EndSubSection
#
#    SubSection "Joystick"
#        Port "/dev/joy0"
#        DeviceName "Joystick"
#        TimeOut 10
#        MinimumXPosition 100
#        MaximumXPosition 1300
#        MinimumYPosition 100
#        MaximumYPosition 1100
#        # CenterX 700
#        # CenterY 600
#        Delta 20
#    EndSubSection
#
# The Mouse Subsection contains the same type of entries as the
# standard Pointer Section (see above), with the addition of the
# DeviceName entry.
#
#    SubSection "Mouse"
#        Port "/dev/mouse2"
#        DeviceName "Second Mouse"
#        Protocol "Logitech"
#    EndSubSection
# EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

    Identifier  "Cyborg"
    #VendorName  "Unknown"
    #ModelName   "Unknown"
    Bandwidth   45
    HorizSync   30-64
    VertRefresh 50-110
#  My setup!!!!

    Mode "648x486"
        DotClock      31.5
        HTimings      648  680  800  832
        VTimings      486  488  494  510
    EndMode
    # HSF = 37.9 khz
    # VSF = 74.2 Hz

    Mode "800x600"
        DotClock      49.5
        HTimings      800  832 1016 1048
        VTimings      600  602  609  630
    EndMode
    # HSF = 47.2 khz
    # VSF = 75.0 Hz

    Mode "1032x774"
        DotClock      44.9
        HTimings      1032 1064 1256 1288
        VTimings      774  776  781  813
    EndMode
    # HSF = 34.9 khz
    # VSF = 42.9 Hz

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Trident TGUI9440"
    Chipset "tgui9440agi"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    VideoRam    1024
    #Ramdac      "normal"
    # Insert Clocks lines here if

read more »

X Windows/Trident 9440 SVGA Card

Post by Jacky » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

How many RAM do you have?  If it's just 1M, 800x600 with 16-bit is the max it can support.  This is the same under Win95 too.

In article <331BA2DF.557B8...@u.washington.edu>, jdevera <jdev...@u.washington.edu> writes:

> [...]

> #        MaximumYPosition 1100
> #        # CenterX 700
> #        # CenterY 600
> #        Delta 20
> #    EndSubSection
> #
> # The Mouse Subsection contains the same type of entries as the
> # standard Pointer Section (see above), with the addition of the
> # DeviceName entry.
> #
> #    SubSection "Mouse"
> #        Port "/dev/mouse2"
> #        DeviceName "Second Mouse"
> #        Protocol "Logitech"
> #    EndSubSection
> # EndSection

> # **********************************************************************
> # Monitor section
> # **********************************************************************

> # Any number of monitor sections may be present

read more »

Post by Todd Pazde » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi, I?have a problem similar to yours except mine is a bit deeper I
>believe. I?just installed the slackware version of linux, and have been
>messing around with it for hours trying to get it to work.
>When?I?attemped to get X windows working, I came across the fact that
>I?have a Trident board with the GUI9660 chip, which is unsupported. I
>can't seem to get any windowing system up an running. I?also have no
>idea what a dotclock is, and my manual to my monitor make no mention of
>it. If anyone could help or make any suggestions, any comments would be
>appreciated.

>Kaom Te

I had the same problem with the Redhat 4.x release.  I used the VGA16
drivers rather than the SVGA.  It comes up no problem, but you are somewhat
limited on some applications.

Todd Pazdera

X Windows/Trident 9440 SVGA Card

Post by Greg Counci » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

The best thing to do is 'suck it up' and get one of the supported cards.  I
believe you're using the MetroX server rather than  XFree86  (I believe the
latter supports the majority of Trident chipsets).  From my experience
using a Trident card (before I switched) is that Redbaron and other apps
won't work in anything except 8 bit mode and then there are some weird
problems with the virtual screen.  If you don't want to get a new card, use
Xfree86 instead.  The biggest thing you will be sacrificing is the multiple
monitor support.

> I had the same problem with the Redhat 4.x release.  I used the VGA16
> drivers rather than the SVGA.  It comes up no problem, but you are
somewhat
> limited on some applications.

> Todd Pazdera

1. Does XFree86 support Trident 9440 SVGA Card?

To quote the March 1995 XFree86 HOWTO:

The following standard SVGA chipsets are supported:

      Trident
        TVGA8800CS, TVGA8900B, TVGA8900C, TVGA8900CL, TVGA9000,
        TVGA9000i, TVGA9100B,  TVGA9200CX, TVGA9320, TVGA9400CX, TVGA9420

I am interested in buying a "Trident 9440" SVGA card which isn't
listed above. Does anyone know if it is supported? Has anyone used it
with XFree86 successfully?

TIA

Will Heyman
UVa Applied Math

2. Newsreader for X

3. X driver for Trident 9440 SVGA card for help

4. Apache + SSI + CGI ... Aaaarrrrggggg !

5. X windows and Trident PCI (9440) Video Cards

6. smp multi cpu motherboards - multithreading

7. driver for SVGA Trident 9440

8. ENSONIC SoundScape sound card over Solaris 2.5 for i86pc

9. Where is the beta SVGA server for Trident 9440?

10. Trident 9440 SVGA-Server needed

11. SVGA server for Trident 9440

12. REQ: trident 9440 svga server

13. Help: Trident 9440 SVGA at X3.1.2B