help:feeding news to local news server

Post by David. E. Gob » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:08:26

Hi all;

I am running redhat 6.2. My ISPs news server is news.adelaide.on.net
and my local news server is gtech. My news server is setup with innd
and pine and I can connect to my ISPs news server with slrn -h
news.adelaide.on.net.

How ddo I setup my system so my local news server will be feed news
from my ISPs news server. I perferr to only use whats available from
the redhat cdrom.

--Regards       David. E. Goble
             goble [AT] kin.net.au
          http://www.kin.net.au/goble
Po Box 648 Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA 5223

1. News feed locks up our server. HELP!

Here's our current setup:

120 MHz Pentium with 64MB of RAM.  PCI based SCSI controller card,
and 3 HD's:  1 500MB drive, 1 2GB drive, and 1 4GB drive.  The
4GB drive is mounted as /var/spool/news.  The 500MB drive is
mounted as swap space, and the 2GB drive is just hanging around,
not doing much at this time.
  We're running inn on this machine to receive our news.

The problem:
  We've got a full (11000+ newsgroups) news feed coming in to us,
and being written to the 4GB drive (we expire anything over 3 days
old), but the machine seems to keep locking up on us.  It'll be fine
for a while after boot, and then all of a sudden, the HD light comes
on, and basically stays on until we reboot.  Upon reboot, fsck
generally finds a couple of bad i-nodes, fixes them, and we're on
our way.  During this time that the HD is going crazy, two things
of note happen:  1) We can't telnet in or basically do anything (this
is with or without X running) and 2) The collision light on our
SynOptics hub goes nuts.

This is very bad, because we simply can't be there 24-7 to reboot
the machine every couple of hours or so when this happens.  Has
this happened to anyone else out there?  My current guess is that
it may have something to do with our SCSI card or drives or
something hardware related.  Any help would be beneficial, as I'm
about ready to drop kick that damn machine through the ceiling at
this point.

Thank you.
--
###### ####### #####  #######      ---------------------------------------
#      #  #  # #   #  # . . #     |   Another tasty e-mail message from   |

2. mount -t nfs fails

3. NNTP News & Local News

4. Soundblaster Live 5.1 and VIA

5. News, News, News!

6. Increasing the FD_SETSIZE

7. Linux as full feed news server?

8. O'Reilly X/Motif books available for download

9. LINUX as a FULL feed news server?

10. News feeds or servers?

11. Linux as full feed news server?

12. Anyone running a full-feed news server?

13. news server not being fed