Post by Stanley H » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Is there a way of "permanently"loading modules using kernelcfg or some
other Linux program?  (Redhat Linux)

For example, I want to load lp.o and sound.o every time the system
starts, but I don't necessarily want to recompile the kernel just to
add support for these modules.  Currently, the only way I have found
to do this is simply to create a script in init.d/rc3.d that executes
"/usr/sbin/insmod /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound.o" .

Is there a better way?  If so, how do I do it?

Thanks.

Post by Johan Kullsta » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

:Hi,

:Is there a way of "permanently"loading modules using kernelcfg or some
:other Linux program?  (Redhat Linux)

:For example, I want to load lp.o and sound.o every time the system
:starts, but I don't necessarily want to recompile the kernel just to
:add support for these modules.  Currently, the only way I have found
:to do this is simply to create a script in init.d/rc3.d that executes
:"/usr/sbin/insmod /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound.o" .

:Is there a better way?  If so, how do I do it?

yes, it's called kerneld.  the kernel daemon will load and unload
modules automatically for you whenever you need those services.

on my redhat system (heavily upgraded 4.1), /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit will
start /sbin/kerneld if it exists and can execute.

i have made good use of modules and put all sorts of things in them.
ppp, msdos, fat, minix and iso9660 filesystems, a.out binaries, floppy
controllers, &c.  in short, everything that i don't use most of the
time and i could make a kernel module, i did.

i was using a monolith, but with the new 2.0.31 i took the opportunity
to try out the module way.  with kerneld, it's seamless and easy.  i
never even have to think about insmod.

:Thanks.

you're welcome.  hope this helps.

Post by Stanley H » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Three questions for you and any other person who might be able to
answer:

1)  How do I specify lp.o to be loaded in kerneld?  I tried looking at
kernelcfg but I couldn't figure out what to do there.  Do you have
step-by-step instructions?

2)  If I want to install a sound driver on a Redhat Linux 4.0 system,
but the system doesn't have a compiler or the kernel source easily
available, is there way of getting a Sound Blaster 16 sound.o
pre-compiled somewhere?  Can I set the settings of the sound card
without having to compile the drivers?

3)  Is there a FAT32 module out for Linux?  I've seen the kernel
patch, but recompiling my kernel with this patch screws up some other
dependencies, such as the AFS client I have on my system.

Thanks again.

Quote:>yes, it's called kerneld.  the kernel daemon will load and unload
>modules automatically for you whenever you need those services.

>on my redhat system (heavily upgraded 4.1), /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit will
>start /sbin/kerneld if it exists and can execute.

>i have made good use of modules and put all sorts of things in them.
>ppp, msdos, fat, minix and iso9660 filesystems, a.out binaries, floppy
>controllers, &c.  in short, everything that i don't use most of the
>time and i could make a kernel module, i did.

>i was using a monolith, but with the new 2.0.31 i took the opportunity
>to try out the module way.  with kerneld, it's seamless and easy.  i
>never even have to think about insmod.

1. Sb16 and midi module(can't load module midi)~!

Pls help,

 I am using RedHat 6.0 with the kernel 2.2.5-15 installed, there is
no problem when loading the sound & midi modules when bootup~! Recently,
have downloaded a new kernel source (version 2.2.11). I compiled it to
make my new kernel~! During 'make xconfig', I have chosen the sound card

support as modules, OSS sound modules and have the '100% Sound Blaster
Compatibles(SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support' as modules. After all, I
get
the bzImage and start to reboot my PC. After seeing the message:
"Finding
Modules dependences", I got the messages saying:

 can't locate module midi [FAIL]

It's fine to load the sound moudle.
My Sound Card is Creative 16 PnP SOUND CARD
I have used 'dmesg' which show:
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)

 Pls help to fix the problem of loading the module midi~!

Best regard
Alleyoop Sam

2. remote dump problems

3. Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist,0)

4. Netscape 3.03 accessing SCOHelp

5. load module error--kernel-module version mismatch

6. using usb devices as user

7. Checkstop File Analyse

8. "gcc2_compiled. undefined" - when loading modules

12. Not able to load modules RH5.1