rlogin, rcp - rsh Not Working, Please Help

rlogin, rcp - rsh Not Working, Please Help

Post by Albert E. Wha » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am running Linux 2.0.0 and I'm having a problem even running the
date command to another Unix (HP-UX 10.10) server.  My command:

remshd: Login incorrect

Produces the annoying 'Login incorrect' , hmmmph.  I can make the
journey from the other direction, but I would like to run the Linux
box as the rdist server - fat chance until I get this working.  Any
ideas?

http://www.hky.com/aewhale.html
Sr. Database, Internet and Unix Systems Consultant
The Maxim Group - Information Systems Consultants

Men International, Board of Directors
Children deserve their Father's Love.

rlogin, rcp - rsh Not Working, Please Help

Post by Leonard Weincie » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi

The rlib commands do not generally allow root access. You need to have
/.rhosts file setup for the machine you are coming from and not just the
/etc/hosts.equiv file.

hope that helps

Len

> I am running Linux 2.0.0 and I'm having a problem even running the
> date command to another Unix (HP-UX 10.10) server.  My command:

> remshd: Login incorrect

> Produces the annoying 'Login incorrect' , hmmmph.  I can make the
> journey from the other direction, but I would like to run the Linux
> box as the rdist server - fat chance until I get this working.  Any
> ideas?

> http://www.hky.com/aewhale.html
> Sr. Database, Internet and Unix Systems Consultant
> The Maxim Group - Information Systems Consultants

> Men International, Board of Directors
> Children deserve their Father's Love.

rlogin, rcp - rsh Not Working, Please Help

Post by Albert E. Wha » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have .rhosts on both machines and I've also tried having it set as
644 and 600 but neither seems to help.  Got another suggestion?

Post by Till Salz » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

> The rlib commands do not generally allow root access. You need to have
> /.rhosts file setup for the machine you are coming from and not just the
> /etc/hosts.equiv file.

> hope that helps

> Len

>> I am running Linux 2.0.0 and I'm having a problem even running the
>> date command to another Unix (HP-UX 10.10) server.  My command:

>> remshd: Login incorrect

>> Produces the annoying 'Login incorrect' , hmmmph.  I can make the
>> journey from the other direction, but I would like to run the Linux
>> box as the rdist server - fat chance until I get this working.  Any
>> ideas?

There may be some security problems if you allow rsh access for root
(in fact, I've read again and again NOT to do so, and I'm completly
sure this is right and you should NOT use rsh at all, but at least
NOT, NOT NOT for root...  ;-)

If you really need rsh root access, try ssh (sorry, I've forgot the
pointer). This will encrypt the session and uses a more secure auth
scheme. (BTW, there are some nice features like compression, port
redirection, X redirection, ...)

Ssh is aviable as source and precompiled for some OS (I think). Source
distribution should be preferred for the VERY EASY installation via
"make install" - this will save you some headaches, if you're new to
ssh...

| Till Salzer                      Internet-/Intranet Applikationen |
| ----------------------------------------------------------------- |

|       -----------------------------------------------------       |
| PGP public key:          http://www.comzept.de/~salzer/MyPGP.html |

rlogin, rcp - rsh Not Working, Please Help

Post by Joe Santor » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anyone know how to setup PPP/Chat so that I can dial into an NT RAS
Server with my Linux system ?

Thanks

Joe

Name            :       Joe Santoro
Tel             :       0958 402172

Post by Peter Schmit » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Does anyone know how to setup PPP/Chat so that I can dial into an NT RAS
> Server with my Linux system ?

> Thanks

> Joe

> Name            :       Joe Santoro
> Tel             :       0958 402172

There is a PPP-NT-HOWTO in the net. Try to get it.

Greetings Peter

Post by etherma » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > Does anyone know how to setup PPP/Chat so that I can dial into an NT RAS
> > Server with my Linux system ?

> > Thanks

> > Joe

> > Name            :       Joe Santoro
> > Tel             :       0958 402172

> There is a PPP-NT-HOWTO in the net. Try to get it.

> Greetings Peter

Depends on the NT Side.

  If the site is set up to accept only connections with microsoft
encryption, then you are o u t  o f  l u c k. If an NT RAS Administrator
is paranoid enough to require encryption, (and most are) they are
unlikely to change it on a users request. (MS NT RAS does not normally
make use of an orgs firewall, so security settings are set higher). This
means that even macs and os/2 with $$$ Dollar Bill Gates $$$ Exchange
Server client can not authenticate to a system that requires MS
Encryption.

  If you have a solid requirement, a separate RAS line can be set up for
UNIX & Other users on a separate VLAN. Users should have a hard IP
assigned by admin and NT RAS has to be set to allow a user to "request"
their own IP, and that IP needs to be reserved if the org is using DHCP.
Then you ROUTE legitimate users to lan assets. This provides some
security.

seeya

1. Why don't rsh/rlogin/rcp ever timeout?

The subject line says it all.

I have just learned (much to my surprize) that the rsh, rlogin, and rcp
commands will _never_ timeout (unlike ping for example, which _does_
timeout after a reasonably period of time).  These r* commands can
hang indefinitely, perhaps waiting for a host to come back up that
has been permanently removed from the net.

Are there versions of these utilities available which _do_ timeout?

--

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, CA -------- Infinite Monkeys & Co. ------------

------ (c) Copyright 1995 by Ronald F. Guilmette; All rights reserved. -----

2. How to reformat a 2.1 GB disk to 2 GB ?

3. Rsh/rlogin/rcp on FreeBSD 4.3.

4. Server Configured name server??

5. Secure RSH, RCP, RLOGIN and friends

6. make spin_is_locked use an explicit signed char case

7. rlogin/rsh/rcp slow between linux machines on multi platform network

8. How to echo a function name?

9. How do you allow root to rsh/rcp/rlogin/etc?

10. rsh, rcp, rlogin and error messages

11. inet services +rcp +rlogin +rsh

12. Can't use any r commands out of host (rlogin,rsh,rcp)

13. rsh + rlogin without password (.rhosts) -> NOT WORKING