Drive Image and RH5.1

Post by Douglas Bagget » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've got a partition image of my RH5.1 and swap partition. I can restore

it back to its original form on my disk, but I need a way of booting to
it.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Drive Image and RH5.1

Post by John Bre » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I've got a partition image of my RH5.1 and swap partition. I can restore

> it back to its original form on my disk, but I need a way of booting to
> it.

> Does anybody have any ideas?

could you boot from floppy and specify that the root is the hard drive
partition, then recompile and set up LILO?

Drive Image and RH5.1

Post by Tom Pfeife » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Try loadlin.exe which can boot to that partition starting from DOS. That
can be either a DOS partition on the hard drive, or a floppy. It has to
be from DOS mode, not a DOS box in Windows.

To do that, get the files /dosutils/loadlin.exe and
/dosutils/autoboot/vmlinuz from the RedHat 5.1 CD and copy them to the
DOS partition/floppy. Then execute this command line from the DOS
prompt:

loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdxx ro

Where hdxx is your Linux partition such as hda1, hda2, hdb1 etc. The
"ro" is for mounting it read only until fsck runs during the boot
process - which is normal. That will boot that partition and run from it
as the root partition. From there you can configure lilo to make it
bootable from the hard drive, floppy, or whatever you normally do.

Tom

Drive Image and RH5.1

Post by Douglas Bagget » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

That could work. I had thought of it. But not too deeply. I was looking
to see there was some other way to set it up. I think I will try using
loadlin.
There was a post to my original post suggesting that and I think that's
probably the way to go.

thanks for the responce

> > I've got a partition image of my RH5.1 and swap partition. I can restore

> > it back to its original form on my disk, but I need a way of booting to
> > it.

> > Does anybody have any ideas?

> could you boot from floppy and specify that the root is the hard drive
> partition, then recompile and set up LILO?

Drive Image and RH5.1

Post by Douglas Bagget » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I had forgotten all about loadlin. Thanks for the reminder. My only
other problem now is whether I should wait until my bad segate gets returned
from
the manufacturer and restore LINUX to that or pick up partition magic (or
something comparible)
so I can restore it to my current hard drive. I'm going into LINUX withdrawl
:)

One thing though. My partition image contains both the root filesystem and
swap partition.  When I restore both of them, will LINUX have a problem
identifing the correct location for the swap partition? And if so how should

I fix the problem?

> Try loadlin.exe which can boot to that partition starting from DOS. That
> can be either a DOS partition on the hard drive, or a floppy. It has to
> be from DOS mode, not a DOS box in Windows.

> To do that, get the files /dosutils/loadlin.exe and
> /dosutils/autoboot/vmlinuz from the RedHat 5.1 CD and copy them to the
> DOS partition/floppy. Then execute this command line from the DOS
> prompt:

> loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdxx ro

> Where hdxx is your Linux partition such as hda1, hda2, hdb1 etc. The
> "ro" is for mounting it read only until fsck runs during the boot
> process - which is normal. That will boot that partition and run from it
> as the root partition. From there you can configure lilo to make it
> bootable from the hard drive, floppy, or whatever you normally do.

> Tom

1. PowerQuest Drive Image - Windows compressed drive image, is there an equivalent for Linux?

PowerQuest Drive Image allows you to compress your whole Drive ie. C: or D:
etc into multiples of
650MB image[s] so that you can write it to a CD-ROM. This means you don't
have to save individual
configuration files etc in case of a head crash. You simply use the CD-ROM
to restore the image[s]
and not have to re-install & configure again.
Is there something similar for Linux?
TIA
--

Ian Turnbull
07961 931941

Web  : www.turnbui.freeserve.co.uk

2. Question about 10Base-T

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. install

5. Creating a hard drive image - sunos 5.7, scsi 20gb drive, archaic hardware

6. nmap OS Difficulty prediction?

7. Kernel 2.2.1 & RH5.2 - LILO won't accept the RAM disk image

8. arg 2 of connect(2) warning in Solaris

9. Making an initrd image for RH5.0 and kernel recompile assistance

10. RH5.2, X and Trident Image 3D 975 AGP 4Mo

11. RH5.0 Installing a parallel zip drive

12. HDD errors: RH5.2/Maxtor Drive/Tyan S1590S/AMD K6-2

13. named fails since upgrading from RH5.1 to RH5.2