Problems when compiling kernel

Post by chuckl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,  all,

I need help recompiling the kernel.
I am using Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14.  I thought  it sounds not bad
to make a kernel
which only support the hardwares that I have.
I followed instructions in the README file in /usr/src/linux. This is
what I did.
  make xconfig,  make dep,   make clean,   make zImage ,
  make modules,  make  modules_install

However, LILO was saying the new zImage "is too big", although is much
smaller
than the previous one.
Anyway I tried to reboot the new kernel. I got thousands of lines of
rubbish message like
"unresolved symbol in /lib/modules/xxx...".
I thought I had got new kernel working because the contents in dmesg
changed a lot and
I was no longer informed  about nonexisting things like scsi  devices.

The new kernel caused two anoying problems.  The first is now I got much
less
free memory. (1 or 2 M,previously I got  about 30M).
The second is the IDE led is always on.  Is this harmful to the hard
disk?

Thanks.

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am using Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14.  I thought  it sounds not bad
> to make a kernel

Go with the latest stable kernel which is 2.2.17 now. (If I am correct.)
There were an ugly bug upto 2.2.15 which has been corrected in 2.2.16.

Quote:> I followed instructions in the README file in /usr/src/linux. This is
> what I did.
>   make xconfig,  make dep,   make clean,   make zImage ,
>   make modules,  make  modules_install

Don't do make zImage. instead, do make bzImage.

Quote:> However, LILO was saying the new zImage "is too big", although is much
> smaller than the previous one.

again, do make bzImage.

Vilmos

Problems when compiling kernel

Post by Clément Idelo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello
    Type 'make bzImage' instead of 'make zImage' to get a smaller image.
    You should copy the '/usr/src/linux/System.map' into your '/boot'
directory.
    And you should remove or rename the '/lib/modules/2.2.xx' directory
before typing 'make modules_install'.
    good luck.

Quote:> Hi,  all,

Post by Lonni J. Friedma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,  all,

> I need help recompiling the kernel.
> I am using Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14.  I thought  it sounds not bad
> to make a kernel
> which only support the hardwares that I have.
> I followed instructions in the README file in /usr/src/linux. This is
> what I did.
>   make xconfig,  make dep,   make clean,   make zImage ,
>   make modules,  make  modules_install

> However, LILO was saying the new zImage "is too big", although is much
> smaller
> than the previous one.
> Anyway I tried to reboot the new kernel. I got thousands of lines of
> rubbish message like
> "unresolved symbol in /lib/modules/xxx...".
> I thought I had got new kernel working because the contents in dmesg
> changed a lot and
> I was no longer informed  about nonexisting things like scsi  devices.

> The new kernel caused two anoying problems.  The first is now I got much
> less
> free memory. (1 or 2 M,previously I got  about 30M).
> The second is the IDE led is always on.  Is this harmful to the hard
> disk?

you should have done 'make bzImage' instead of make zImage and that
would have fixed ALL of your problems.