Reinstall LILO

Post by Gary Napolitan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm trying to reinstall LILO to a drive that has lost part of the
loader.

If you get a virus on the MBR, I'd like to know how to recover
LILO without having to reinstall the whole package.

CC to my Email would be appreciated if there is someone who
has a trick up their sleeve, because I'm still going over the
25k PLUS notes here looking for an answer.

   Regards,
      Gary

Reinstall LILO

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm trying to reinstall LILO to a drive that has lost part of the
>loader.

>If you get a virus on the MBR, I'd like to know how to recover
>LILO without having to reinstall the whole package.

Reboot with a floppy rescue disk (you do have one, right? If not, go
to your distribution's website), and give "single root=/dev/hda1"
(where /dev/hda1 should be replaced by whatever partition holds your
Linux root partition) as boot parameters to the kernel. Then run
/sbin/lilo as root to rewrite the MBR.

Have a look at the BootPrompt-HOWTO when you get a chance for
information about kernel boot parameters.

Quote:>CC to my Email would be appreciated if there is someone who
>has a trick up their sleeve, because I'm still going over the
>25k PLUS notes here looking for an answer.

Posted and mailed.

--
Colin Watson                                      [cjw44 at cam.ac.uk]
Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]

1. reinstalling lilo

Hi !

I was reinstalling win95 in addition to Linux (Caldera).
win95 overwrote the bootsector so lilo doesn't appear anymore at the
bootup.

How can I get Lilo to run without making a complete new installation
and new kernel ?
(When I run the boot/ram disks and push alt-f2 and try to start
lilo -C the file cannot be found.)

Thanks a lot !

  Marc Lustig

2. Netscape Hassle: Grainy Fonts

3. Reinstalling LILO

4. Undeleting files?

5. Reinstalling LILO help!

6. inetd error with mail setup

7. Newbie Help - Reinstalling LILO

8. RedHat 4.0 and X11 config ??

9. How to reinstall LILO after reformat of main HD?

10. How to reinstall LILO?

11. Reinstall LILO

12. How to reinstall LILO

13. Reinstall LILO on MBR - How?