Restricted root privledges

Post by ajaun.. » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:35:28

Hello,

Is it is possible to give a user restricted
root privledges to upgrade/install rpm packages only ?

Ciao,
Andreas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Restricted root privledges

Post by ne.. » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:45:33

Quote:

>Hello,

>Is it is possible to give a user restricted
>root privledges to upgrade/install rpm packages only ?

I think sudo is what you are looking for.

Complex system:
        One with real problems and imaginary profits.
 12:45pm  up 5 days, 19:36, 10 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:30:22

:>Is it is possible to give a user restricted
:>root privledges to upgrade/install rpm packages only ?
: I think sudo is what you are looking for.

However, since he can install a new sudo that would then allow him to
do anything, it's hard to see the difference between this and full
superuser powers.

Peter

1. Giving user root privledges in KDE?

Hi,

Nacient Linux user (less than 5 users), heavy computer user (close to 20
years), completely new to this newsgroup.  Here's my problem:

I would like to give a standard user (namely, myself) complete root access
in KDE.  This machine is in a secure location and isn't connected to the
internet, so I'm not worried about security.

I set up a new user and placed it in the "root" group.  This seems to give
the user ("Chris") access to all files with full permissions.  However, when
I try to run applications in KDE that typically require root access (for
example, the KDE User Manager) it asks me to enter root's password again.

How does KDE perform this authentication?  I thought by placing the user in
the root group I wouldn't get this password box, but apparently it doesn't
rely on the group of the user.  Is there any way to create a new user with
root privledges in KDE?

(By the way, for those that suggest I simply use the root account in KDE, I
would like to hold unto the skeleton files and KDE menus my distro creates
for regular users.  Root gets an unusual menu without all the available
programs, and it's a pain to relink everything).

Chris

2. Limiting number of RS6000 sessions

3. Giving Users Root privledges

4. kill a process? how, if -9 does not work

5. Restricting root connection on HPUX

6. Another jumpstart problem.

7. Restrict root NFS access?

8. how to set up multiple virtual console screens?

9. Restricting root login in SSH

10. HELP: smbmount samba 2.0.5a restricted to root only

11. Restrict root to console or super user

12. Restrict Root Sign On to Console?

13. Restricted Root Access