Sony CDU33A CD-ROM install problem

Post by Alexander Vogenthale » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I remember having that same problem the first time I tried to install
Slackware on my old 486 box.
If I remember the model number of my drive correctly, I believe the CDU33A
isn't a standard IDE drive.
At least, I had it running through some wierd proprietary controller card
that came with the CD-ROM.

I eventually gave up on trying to get it to run and bought a cheap IDE
CD-ROM.

-Alexander Vogenthaler

Post by TTG » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Folks,
I am not really a newbie...just being driven crazy by RH 5.2!  As I try
to install it
on my good ole trusty 486 with a SoundBlaster 16 (not PNP, it's older
than that I think), hooked to a SONY CDU33A-C1 CD-ROM, it won't find the
CD!  If I
tell it to use the SONY CDU33x, it can't find it, yet if I choose the
SoundBlaster option, it hangs up.  Auto-probe won't work.  Help??!!??  I
am a CIS instructor,
and I teach Unix I and II, and I can't get my own Linux to
install...this is embarrassing!

TIA!
The Mad Dr. G.

(e-mail would be nice.  thanks)

1. problem installing debian from CD-rom SONY CDU33a

Hey,

I'm a newbie trying to install debian on my old 486 which has a SONY
CDU33a cd-rom this is not a IDE cd-rom, instead the cd-rom is connected
with a host adapter card.
When I installed debian I had to use a diskette called drv1440.bin to
load the appropriate module, which I did correctly. The troubles begin
when I reboot my machine and want to run dselect to continue installing
the software. When I reboot I clearly see the following line " loading
modules cdu31a " So this is ok. But when I look at /dev I can't find any
reference to the cdrom instead, and this is very weird, I find a file
cdu535. cdu535 is an other type of SONY cdrom, but I haven't loaded a
module for this one. How is this possible?
When I run dselect I have to choose Acces method. I then choose cdrom. I
get following question "Insert the CD-ROM and enter the block device
name []:" I have no idea what to answer, since cdu31 isn't in /dev.
I can also choose "mounted" as an acces method but then I have no idea
how to mount the cdrom (cdu33 that is)

Anybody has a solution. Any suggestions.
All help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

-Jeroen-

2. Linux with X...how robust?

3. Problems detecting Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive

4. *Graphical news reader for X needed*

5. Network restarts

6. Problem with SuSE 5.1 and Sony CD-ROM cdu33a !?

7. Debugging SLIP and DIP

8. Linux still can't detec Sony cdu33a CD-Rom driver

9. Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

10. HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

11. WTB: Linux Cd-rom for my Sony CDU33a

12. recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...