dialup and a proxy server

Post by Steven L. Dahli » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:17:58

Can anyone tell me if there is a product or a way to setup a proxy server
with dial up capabilities, i.e., allowing anyone on my network to make a
request and, if there is no current connection to the ISP, disl up and
establish the connection.  Earlier I tried diald but despite a lot of input
from several and a lot of elbow grease I was unable to make it work.
Currently I am using a product call WinProxy on an NT workstation that works
like a charm.  It was easy to setup and configure and has been easy to
maintain.  But I would certainly prefer to have a linux server in that role,
but the pain and trouble of diald was too much.

Thanks,
Steve

dialup and a proxy server

Post by Raymond Doetje » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 07:19:12

I totally agree about your diald findings. It took may 2 days before I got it
to work (and I still hate it and I never wish to use it again!)
I suggest that you might use FreeBSD it has a great and easy natd that dials
like a charme and is so easy to setup it took my less then 15 minutes. It is
also more robust than diald.

Other than that you have the same advantages as Linux with FreeBSD it is almost
simular when you look at software availability. To get in to it is also pretty
easy once you hav emastered another Unix variant.

Raymond

> Can anyone tell me if there is a product or a way to setup a proxy server
> with dial up capabilities, i.e., allowing anyone on my network to make a
> request and, if there is no current connection to the ISP, disl up and
> establish the connection.  Earlier I tried diald but despite a lot of input
> from several and a lot of elbow grease I was unable to make it work.
> Currently I am using a product call WinProxy on an NT workstation that works
> like a charm.  It was easy to setup and configure and has been easy to
> maintain.  But I would certainly prefer to have a linux server in that role,
> but the pain and trouble of diald was too much.

> Thanks,
> Steve

dialup and a proxy server

Post by Brian Duffel » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 07:56:15

On 2 Sep,

Quote:> Can anyone tell me if there is a product or a way to setup a proxy server
> with dial up capabilities, i.e., allowing anyone on my network to make a
> request and, if there is no current connection to the ISP, disl up and
> establish the connection.  Earlier I tried diald but despite a lot of input
> from several and a lot of elbow grease I was unable to make it work.
> Currently I am using a product call WinProxy on an NT workstation that
> works like a charm.  It was easy to setup and configure and has been easy
> to maintain.  But I would certainly prefer to have a linux server in that
> role, but the pain and trouble of diald was too much.

I'm having limited success with pppd (2.2 kernel) but I can setup the ppp
connection ok. unfortunately the calling application is unable to resolve
unless I ping an unknown ip address first, and give time for the link to
setup before I use the resolver for the actual download. It may be fine with
a linux network rather than mixed OS's
--
  Brian Duffell    RiscPC600      |  StrongARM 233Mhz RISC OS 4 50Mb
  Darlington Dolphin Masters ASC  |<www.darlington-masters.org>

dialup and a proxy server

Post by Zebee Johnsto » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:39:39

In comp.os.linux.setup on Sat, 2 Sep 2000 14:17:58 -0700

Quote:>Can anyone tell me if there is a product or a way to setup a proxy server
>with dial up capabilities, i.e., allowing anyone on my network to make a
>request and, if there is no current connection to the ISP, disl up and
>establish the connection.  Earlier I tried diald but despite a lot of input
>from several and a lot of elbow grease I was unable to make it work.

Diald is not much chop and is old.

Read the man page for ppp, especially the demand, persist, idle and
holdoff parameters.

Zebee

dialup and a proxy server

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:20:09

Quote:>Can anyone tell me if there is a product or a way to setup a proxy server
>with dial up capabilities, i.e., allowing anyone on my network to make a
>request and, if there is no current connection to the ISP, disl up and
>establish the connection.  Earlier I tried diald but despite a lot of input
>from several and a lot of elbow grease I was unable to make it work.
>Currently I am using a product call WinProxy on an NT workstation that works
>like a charm.  It was easy to setup and configure and has been easy to
>maintain.  But I would certainly prefer to have a linux server in that role,
>but the pain and trouble of diald was too much.

I had diald working great in RH 5.2, including a Perl fifo to monitor and
control it.  But I never could get it to work in RH 6.1.  My
pppd-demand.txt file at http://www.de-srv.com/linux/ may be helpful for
getting demand pppd working.

You don't really need a proxy.  There is a 3-liner in the IPCHAINS-HOWTO
that will get you up and running with ip masquerade.  But you have to load
the ip_masq_ftp module to ftp through it.  If you have a dynamic IP, you
may also have to plug a 1 into /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr.

Note: I run my own caching DNS with zones added for my LAN (DNS-HOWTO) and
haven't tried demand pppd with a dynamic IP.  It works fine with my laptop
on the LAN whether it is running Mandrake or Win98se.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

dialup and a proxy server

Post by F.E. » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:28:36

I know a man that wrote a web based script that works off of a web page, and

talk to is Chris Gonnerman, he may (or may not) charge you some nominal fee
(less than the price of a 12 pack of Bud I would imagine) for the source to
his program, but it works very well and I have seen it in action.

-Chip Sharp

Quote:> Can anyone tell me if there is a product or a way to setup a proxy server
> with dial up capabilities, i.e., allowing anyone on my network to make a
> request and, if there is no current connection to the ISP, disl up and
> establish the connection.  Earlier I tried diald but despite a lot of
input
> from several and a lot of elbow grease I was unable to make it work.
> Currently I am using a product call WinProxy on an NT workstation that
works
> like a charm.  It was easy to setup and configure and has been easy to
> maintain.  But I would certainly prefer to have a linux server in that
role,
> but the pain and trouble of diald was too much.

> Thanks,
> Steve

dialup and a proxy server

Post by David Fulto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have noted in Red-Hat 6.1 that the PPP module fails to compile. you may
want to get  a new kernel and try your scripts again.