Is my Linux Corrupted??

Post by Marios Savv » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi...
   Totally fresh with linux.. i installed Red Hat and it wasnt
recognizing my mouse.. so i did some button reboots because i didnt know
how to logout with the keyboard ..and next time linux was booting
messages that files have error and was checking and fixing.. sometime
successfully but other times really a pain to get it run over .. The
strange thing with my Microsoft mouse solved by replacing it with a very
lousy 3 button. I was trying with mouseconfig before but nothing.
   Now Linux is loading but it doesnt feel so good.. its slower on boot
and last time it was refusing to logout!
   Do you think i should install it from the beginning(now i dont have
anything on)? or is there a way to fix any filesystem errors?

thank you very much for your help,
   Marios Savva

Is my Linux Corrupted??

Post by Arvind Deshpand » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi...
>    Totally fresh with linux.. i installed Red Hat and it wasnt
> recognizing my mouse.. so i did some button reboots because i didnt know
> how to logout with the keyboard ..and next time linux was booting
> messages that files have error and was checking and fixing.. sometime
> successfully but other times really a pain to get it run over .. The
> strange thing with my Microsoft mouse solved by replacing it with a very
> lousy 3 button. I was trying with mouseconfig before but nothing.
>    Now Linux is loading but it doesnt feel so good.. its slower on boot
> and last time it was refusing to logout!
>    Do you think i should install it from the beginning(now i dont have
> anything on)? or is there a way to fix any filesystem errors?

> thank you very much for your help,
>    Marios Savva

 First thing. Using Linux or anyother Unix Opeating system never ever use
cold reboots unless and untill you are forced to do it. Unix maintains it's
File System in memory and won't be able to write it if you cold boot it.
Which may result in corrupting your FS.
   Next time you boot your machine it will check the FS integrrity and will
try to fix if it's not unmounted correctly. Nothing wrong with that. That's
a usual check.

Arvind

| Arvind Deshpande                                             |
| ___________________________________________________________  |
| Home Page At:                                                |
| http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/6120/index.html |
| Phone(H):(703)-326-0736                                      |

1. Corrupted super block. Am I totally hosed?

The filesystem on my Linux partition appears to be hosed.  I am unable to
mount it as root or as a directory when using a bootdisk.  I have ran
e2fsck (I have the ext2 filesystem), and it returns this message:

"Bad magic number in super block while opening filesystem."

As e2fsck suggested, I tried an alternate super block of 8193, but
without any luck. (I don't know where the alternate super block is located,
8193 is what e2fsck suggested, so I assume it should be after the main super
block.)

It looks as if the file system is hosed, probably beyound repair.  Any
suggestions on how I can restore the system without reinstalling linux? (Ok, I
admit it, I don't have a backup of the entire system, just of the most
important files that I need.)

Am I screwed or what?  Helpful suggestions appreciated.

Perry

2. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Frequent posting]

4. Spaces in filenames

5. DHCP client on Solaris 2.6

7. Question: Sun's xntp 3.4y, Solaris 2.6, dosynctodr

8. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

12. I am si**y am I?