Please Help!!! Kernel Upgrade problem

Post by caku.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am running redhat 6.0 (kernel version 2.2.5-15).
I am trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.2.10. The upgrading goes fine ..
as defined in
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/docs/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade-5.h
tml

When i reboot it to load the 2.2.10 kernel the xfs fails to load.
The command line interfaceworks ok. When i try startx ...it crashes with
the following errors.

_XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for tcp
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/kumar.ges.com.sg:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for tcp
_XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer:Unable to open socket for local
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for local/kumar.ges.com.sg:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for local

Fatal Server Error:
cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an Xserver isnt
already runnung

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_A11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/kumar.ges.com.sg:0
giving up.
xinit: Invalid argument (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

I dont what all this means..
Moreover when i shutdown ...
Shutingdown X Font Server    [failed]
Shutdown down portmap services [failed]
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K90network: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward no such file
or directory.

One thing i find is the /proc is differnet when i run 2.2.10 and
2.2.15-15

Can anyone help me out here.
Thanx in advance...

cakumar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Kernel upgrading problems, please help...

I did an upgrade from  kernel-2.2.16 to the latest version-2.4.2.
During the "make bzImage"step, I got bunch of this warning:
"pasting would not give a valid preprocessing token". then I just ignored
it and after all done
rebooted the linux and got into the new kernel successfully. However, when
I tried to
mount my DVD RAM using the command mount -t udf /dev/hdb /mnt/dvd
(I did choose the support for udf filesystem), the command completed with a
promp appears.but
after the 'busy' light on the DVD catridge gets on, it never gets off any
more, and
the computer froze then. I thought it might be because I haven't unmount
the DVD
, so I restarted the computer and use the 'dmesg' command to see what
happens, then I found a lot of
"Unable to identify CD-ROM Format" messages in it. so I did a 'mount'
command to check whether it's
 mounted or not, and the result shows that the /dev/hdb(which is the DVD on
my computer) is not mounted
yet.So I did the mount -t udf /dev/hdb /mnt/dvd again, same thing happens
again-the computer froze with the DVD light on.
I read in the book "Running Linux", the author said
"If any errors or warnings occur while compiling, you cannot expect the
resulting
kernel to work correctly..." I'm wondering if it's because of the the
warning I got during
the process of compiling the image file-"pasting would not give a valid
preprocessing token"
that the mount command fails.
Any kind of suggestions are appreciated..

-Jie

-

2. IRQ timeout!!!

3. * Please Help * redhat5.1 kernel upgrade problem

4. Windows Sock Client

5. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

6. Sideband addressing using nv-0.96

7. 3Com 3C900 Broke With Kernel 2.2.3 Upgrade (help please!)

8. SCSI problem

9. Kernel upgrade help PLEASE

10. please help:X all funky after 2.4.7 kernel upgrade

12. Please help re kernel upgrade

13. Please help - upgrading kernel