2nd HD blues.. linux does not see drive

Post by brian gold » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I have installed a 2nd HD and when I try to do an fdisk /dev/hdb
linux says "unable to read /dev/hdb".  I have read the FAQ's and
have been watching posts to the news groups and have not figured
it out yet.  the second drive is a conner and I set the jumpers to
slave, dos is doing ok, and I left the disk geo. as the bios found
it "cyl=2479 hds=16 sect=63".  after reading the lilo man pages I
messed around with the lilo.conf and added:

disk = /dev/hdb
  bios =  0x81    --> is this the hex code?? could not figure out..
  sectors = 63
  heads = 16
  cyl = 2479

after this did not work I messed around with the original boot and root
disks and tried to do an fdisk there and still no luck.
I fed the disk geometry to lilo there in the form of
"/dev/hdb=2479,16,63"

I have not rebuilt my kernel yet (1.1.59) is this necessary..

also during boot there is no signs that it sees the drive..

I did read the EIDE stuff and cut the cylinders in 1/2 but no luck
here..

ok so I am totally frustrated..
any help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

brian goldin

university of cincinnati

Post by brian gold » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

[...]

1. HD blues.. linux does not see 2nd HD

[...]

2. Linux install in a notebook w/o CD drive

3. Dos Drive Letters and Linux on a 2nd HD

4. 2.5.54 -- ohci-dbg.c: 358: In function `show_list': `data1' undeclared (first use in this function)

5. Q: Install LILO on 2nd HD, remove 1st hd, boot from 2nd?

6. Multiple IDE Controllers

7. Problem Seeing 2nd Drive After Linux Installation

8. ftape 2.06

9. problems with linux/dos system and 2nd HD (2099Cyl.)

10. Q:Linux+DOS+WIN95+OS/2 mini HowTo plus 2nd HD

11. Booting DOS off 2nd drive, with 3 IDE drives

12. 2nd HD as Linux drive