CDROM advise (which one to buy?)

Post by John Eikenberry [MSA » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello,
About a month ago I bought a new system. Unfortunately it seems that the
cdrom drive that came with it is not supported by linux.  The cdrom is
a Goldstar R540B quad-speed cdrom, it is atapi/ide complient and is
attached to my eide I/O card as a slave driver to my hard drive.
I found this out after buying the Caldera(pII)/RedHat 2.0 distribution.
It wouldn't install, and after much emailing I finally found out from the
RedHat people the the quad-speed goldstar cdrom wasn't supported by
kernel 1.2.13.  They said that it may be on a later kernel, but that some
of the caldera stuff wouldn't work on later kernels.

So, I have a few questions:

Is this information about the goldstar R540B right? Is there anyway
I can get it to work with linux 1.2.13? (I originally thought it would
work since it's supposed to be atapi/ide compatible).

If there is no way to get it working, it looks like I'll be shopping for
a new cdrom.  I took a look at the CDROM HOWTO, but it doesn't say which
cdrom's are quad speed and I would like to stay with quad-speed. I've
been reading these newsgroups about all the problems people have been
having with their cdrom's, which makes me kind of nervous about which one
to buy.  So, I would like to know which cd-rom you all suggest? Is there
a quad-speed cdrom which will work easily with the 1.2.13 ide/kernel?
Or would you suggest that I switch to a scsi cdrom, I hear these are
much more widely supported?  If so, which scsi cdrom?

All suggestions welcome. And thanks in advance.

John Eikenberry

CDROM advise (which one to buy?)

Post by roo » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Is this information about the goldstar R540B right? Is there anyway
>I can get it to work with linux 1.2.13? (I originally thought it would
>work since it's supposed to be atapi/ide compatible).

I would be suspicious about that information! I had no problems having
kernel v1.2.8 recognize my CR574B QuadSpeed (Creative Labs bundle)
whether it was on my primary IDE controller as a slave to my Maxtor hard
drive or as a master on my secondary IDE controller (SoundBlaster built-in
controller).

Does Caldera require a specific kernel or can you switch to a later revision?

Well anyways, good luck and if I can be of any assistance ...

Post by Victor Mul » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> So, I would like to know which cd-rom you all suggest? Is there
> a quad-speed cdrom which will work easily with the 1.2.13 ide/kernel?
> Or would you suggest that I switch to a scsi cdrom, I hear these are
> much more widely supported?  If so, which scsi cdrom?

> All suggestions welcome. And thanks in advance.

> John Eikenberry

I just picked up a Mitsumi Quad FX400 over the weekend and
got it working without too much hassle.  I installed it as
the master on the secondary IDE channel.

Using the August release of InfoMagic, I found V1.2.8
color144.gz and idekern.gz on CD #1 and created the floppies
using rawrite.  I booted Linux up with these and typed the
commands:

   % mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /mnt
   % cd /mnt
   % ls -l

*** SUCCESS!! ***

Cheers,
Vic

Post by Lloyd Seat » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>Is this information about the goldstar R540B right? Is there anyway
>>I can get it to work with linux 1.2.13? (I originally thought it would
>>work since it's supposed to be atapi/ide compatible).
>I would be suspicious about that information! I had no problems having
>kernel v1.2.8 recognize my CR574B QuadSpeed (Creative Labs bundle)
>whether it was on my primary IDE controller as a slave to my Maxtor hard
>drive or as a master on my secondary IDE controller (SoundBlaster built-in
>controller).
>Does Caldera require a specific kernel or can you switch to a later revision?
>Well anyways, good luck and if I can be of any assistance ...

I've had no trouble with my Quad-speed Mitsumi ATAPI drive under: Slackware,
Caldera Preview I and II, SCO OpenServer 5, MS-DOS/Windows3.1/Windows95.  It's
always been a slave on 1st IDE interface.
                                                Lloyd Seaton

CDROM advise (which one to buy?)

Post by Mikael Nordqvi » Sun, 22 Oct 1995 04:00:00

[Pleasy try to avoid crossposting to so many groups... Followups redirected to
comp.os.linux.hardware only]

Quote:>Hello,
>About a month ago I bought a new system. Unfortunately it seems that the
>cdrom drive that came with it is not supported by linux.  The cdrom is
>a Goldstar R540B quad-speed cdrom, it is atapi/ide complient and is
>attached to my eide I/O card as a slave driver to my hard drive.
>I found this out after buying the Caldera(pII)/RedHat 2.0 distribution.
>It wouldn't install, and after much emailing I finally found out from the
>RedHat people the the quad-speed goldstar cdrom wasn't supported by
>kernel 1.2.13.  They said that it may be on a later kernel, but that some
>of the caldera stuff wouldn't work on later kernels.

>So, I have a few questions:

>Is this information about the goldstar R540B right? Is there anyway
>I can get it to work with linux 1.2.13? (I originally thought it would
>work since it's supposed to be atapi/ide compatible).

hdb: GCD-R540, ATAPI, CDROM drive

It works quite nicely with 1.2.13 (I have one myself and just the
other day I installed Slackware from CD with no problems
whatsoever). The thing is that for some reason you need to mount the
Goldstar 4x with a blocksize of 2048. This has been fixed (I think) in
1.3.xx. This means you can't execute programs directly off the CD
unless you upgrade your kernel.

This is my entry in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdb        /cd     iso9660 ro,block=2048,noauto,user       1       1

A nice drive as it has that VERY convenient play/skip button for audio CDs
and it does allow direct CDDA reading (not under Linux though).

/Mikael
--

Post by Lorenzo Di Gregori » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> I've had no trouble with my Quad-speed Mitsumi ATAPI drive under: Slackware,
> Caldera Preview I and II, SCO OpenServer 5, MS-DOS/Windows3.1/Windows95.  It's
> always been a slave on 1st IDE interface.

On the contrary, I've a CDROM Mitsumi FX400IDE, and I get lots of problems
installing Linux.  Since my CDs are from infomagic, and they're getting

they kindly replied suggesting some solutions (which didn't work) and telling
me that they heard from IBM that the Mitsumi FX400IDE is not 100% ATAPI,
because it returns an odd number of bytes where it's expected to return
an even number.  Infomagic could NOT confirm this, because they still haven't
seen that cdrom.  Anyway they added that this cdrom is told not to work with
OS2warp and, although Linux is not OS2warp, both of them have the some
common characteristic.  I know that it's not _very_ correct to spread
such news without a confirmation, so I didn't emphasized it, but I'm getting
really nervous about this matter: I need Linux for some exams here at our
University, and I'm getting late to have this stuff to work properly.
Moreover we, as students, made some rumors inside the university to use
the "new technologies", and it's a real pity that we find so many obstacles
in the way.  Just for example: only to re-order a new cdrom, it will
take a couple of weeks ... not to talk about determining the seller to
change it.

I need an "authoritative confirmation" of the FX400IDE not being 100% ATAPI
to have it changed, so I hope that someone can provide a "pointer" to this.
Conversely, if someone has configured an FX400IDE under Linux I'll be
grateful for the details.

Please email because our bw is so little that it always take a century to
dig into the news ... no, the newsserver is not local :)

--

CDROM advise (which one to buy?)

Post by Paul Matthew » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Lorenzo,

While I would hesitate to recommend the Mitsumi FX400 ATAPI CD ROM, I have no
problem using it with Linux. I have used it for some months with no problems,
and I am currently using it with Slackware 2.3 and Linux 1.2.13. If you are
still having problems with this drive, perhaps I could offer a suggestion or
two.

Regards,
Paul Matthews
McLean, VA

CDROM advise (which one to buy?)

Post by Trol » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00

I use a Mitsumi FX300, which is now replaced with FX400 and have no trouble
--

              http://www.io.com/user/troll/index.html
              All views expressed are strictly my own.

CDROM advise (which one to buy?)

Post by Ingemar Hultha » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I believe the most economical alternative is a double speed IDE/ATAPI
CDROM.  (I bought one for $50 at a swapmeet in August.)  I connected
it directly to my enhanced IDE card, i.e. no soundcard.  A regular IDE
card should work too, unless there is already two devices connected to
it.  It was as easy to install as anything else, as far as I can tell
only having done this once.

Ingemar Hulthage

1. Need advise on buying a UPS

Dear Group

We are considering installing a UPS for all the equipment in our
computerroom.
The VA-rating at this moment is about 30 KVA, and looking in the
UPS-FAQ I see just 2 manufacturers for this capacity, Toshiba and
Contolled Power Company. This probably means that they will be far more
expensive than a couple of smaller units totaling the same capacity.

I am very interested in existing solutions, horror-stories, experiences,
tips etc.

Please reply to me directly, for I will summarize to te net.

Agricultural University Wageningen
The Netherlands.

2. Apache-High Availability Announcement

3. (URGENT) Advise and question to buy a Sun Microsystem Workstation.

4. X refuses to startx

5. Need advise on buying a Notebook for Linux!!

6. sliplogin timeout

7. (URGENT) Advise and question to buy Sun Microsystem Blade100 workstation

8. Why is BSD/Solaris networking so much better than Linux?

9. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

10. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

11. FREE Slackware CDROMs - First Come, First Served

12. Advise wanted re Toshiba 3501B SCSI CDROM

13. My first linux box! Please advise...