Samba setup on Linux

Post by Here I. A » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

I never tried Red Hat, but...
try "locate samba" <enter>  at the prompt

Here I. Am

> Can anyone tell me how to tell whether I have SAMBA installed already
> on my Linux system (I have installed Redhat Linux 5.2), and where to
> go to get GOOd help on setting it up?

> Regards,
> Graham Daniell

Here I. Am

-- Benjamin Franklin

Samba setup on Linux

Post by Kevin Mart » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

>I never tried Red Hat, but...
>try "locate samba" <enter>  at the prompt

"apropos samba" or "apropos smb" works better for "how to set it up" -- it
gives you a list of all the relevant man (help) pages instead of all the
files of all kinds that contain "samba" in the filename.

Reading your /etc/smb.conf file is a good start; the comments embedded in
the file itself are in some ways more helpful than the man file.

>Here I. Am

>> Can anyone tell me how to tell whether I have SAMBA installed already
>> on my Linux system (I have installed Redhat Linux 5.2), and where to
>> go to get GOOd help on setting it up?

Samba setup on Linux

Post by Chris Aike » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

RedHat uses rpm to install it's packages.  You might try
rpm -qa | less  to see what is installed.

> I never tried Red Hat, but...
> try "locate samba" <enter>  at the prompt

> Here I. Am

> > Can anyone tell me how to tell whether I have SAMBA installed already
> > on my Linux system (I have installed Redhat Linux 5.2), and where to
> > go to get GOOd help on setting it up?

> > Regards,
> > Graham Daniell

> --

> --

> Here I. Am

> "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Samba setup on Linux

Post by Ron van Middendor » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

For basic info start at http://www.samba.org
Assuming you wanna use Samba for connectivity with Win9* take a look at
http://www.jimbrooks.org/web/computer/samba.html and
http://eunuchs.org/linux/samba/samba_content.html

Good luck!