Slow FTP and HTTP server connection

Post by Gchris » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have just installed RedHat 4.2
I have ftp and httpd running and tcp/tp over ethernet.
My problem is that it takes forever (a minute or longer) over an
ethernet tcp/ip connection to access ftp or http. I can ping the
server and ping from the server and that is fast. During ftp it
makes the socket connection right away but takes a long time for
the directories to appear. Under http, it makes contact right
away but takes a long time to retrieve the page. While making the
connection to the server, if I run netstat it sets there for the
same length of time that it takes to establish ftp or http. Once
the info is sent it behaves normally. Also everything is fast if
I access localhost from the server.
This is my first stab at Linux so any help would be appreciated.

--

Post by Michael Jame » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have just installed RedHat 4.2
> I have ftp and httpd running and tcp/tp over ethernet.
> My problem is that it takes forever (a minute or longer) over an
> ethernet tcp/ip connection to access ftp or http. I can ping the
> server and ping from the server and that is fast. During ftp it
> makes the socket connection right away but takes a long time for
> the directories to appear. Under http, it makes contact right
> away but takes a long time to retrieve the page. While making the
> connection to the server, if I run netstat it sets there for the
> same length of time that it takes to establish ftp or http. Once
> the info is sent it behaves normally. Also everything is fast if
> I access localhost from the server.
> This is my first stab at Linux so any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like one of your machines is trying to access a DNS server
that is not present, check the /etc/resolv.conf file on all your
machines to make sure. Also make sure that /etc/hosts is setup
right.

--

Email: q9722124~mail/connect/usq/edu/au

1. Slow ftp connection to OSR5.004 server

When I ftp to my OSR5.004 server from a Win95 client on the same
LAN, it takes 6 seconds before the "connected to" message
displays, and another 16 seconds before the login prompt appears;
all quite repeatable.  Is this as it should be?  If not, what
might be wrong?

My server is running on a 90Mhz pentium with 80MB of memory, and
only a few apps (2 shells, calendar, help) sitting at idle.

2. CFP: Linux Clustering Workshop at Linux Kongress 2001

3. Slow Secure Shell Logins and FTP server connection

4. ANNOUNCE: LinWiz 1.01 - on-line iptables configurator

5. Why connection to my ftp server becomes so slow ?

6. 2.4.19-pre5 pcilynx.c undeclared variables, take two

7. Slow connection to RedHat ftp server?

8. A good place to buy components?

9. Slow connection to my BSD Server via 100Mbit Connection - IPFW/NATD/HTTPD/FTPD

10. Suddenly wu-ftp server is very slow in connecting to it(not slow in transferring data)

11. slow https connections over linux router

12. HTTPD : SLOW all http connections

13. using http://server/username instead of http://server/~username