Installing Netscape

Post by Andrew Carrol » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

This is a very simple question, but as a newbie to linux I wanted to
know if there is an easier way to do it.

I'm using RedHat 5.0, and so I'm used to using RPM to install all my
software that came on the CD.
However, I've downloaded Netscape Navigator, and I was wondering what
the best way to install it would be.
Which directory should it go in ?
Can I use RPM to install it ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
--
              __
             /  \     ,    ,
   \____/  _`\  /'_    /  \       Hemel Hempstead
   /   /.-' /\<>/\ `\.( () )_._   UK
   |    `  /  \/  \  /`'--'////)

           |  |.  | \___/\___/
           |  |.  |   |    |

 "All views expressed here are entirely my own
 and should not be taken to represent the views
 of Kodak Ltd or Eastman Kodak Company"

Installing Netscape

Post by Jonathan Brent Whit » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> This is a very simple question, but as a newbie to linux I wanted to
> know if there is an easier way to do it.

> I'm using RedHat 5.0, and so I'm used to using RPM to install all my
> software that came on the CD.
> However, I've downloaded Netscape Navigator, and I was wondering what
> the best way to install it would be.
> Which directory should it go in ?
> Can I use RPM to install it ?

> Thanks in advance

> Andrew
> --

Install to /usr/local.  You can't RPM it (as far as I know, there isn't
a Netscape RPM file).

gzip -d (name of file).tgz
tar -xvf (name of file).tar
(NOTE:  Substitute the actual filename for "name of file")

cd netscape
setup

And that's it

1. StarOffice & AnswerBook won't work after installing Netscape

Hi all. :-)

I am new to Solaris.
My installation of the x86 Solaris 7 was a VERY smooth ride. :-)

After I installed the OS, I installed the AnswerBook which was on the
Solaris Doc CD.
I then install the StarOffice 5.0

Every thing is working so far, but I wanted to use Netscape to view the
AnswerBook, so I installed the Netscape Communicator 4.5 (via the
WebStart). After I restarted the computer, and...

BOOM!!!

The AnswerBook doesn't work now (can't load it some how, I think). Also
my StarOffice couldn't start as well. But Netscape works good.

So I uninstalled the Netscape, and everything back to normal (they all
worked again). :-)

I *can* live without Netscape, but since I used to it, and want to keep
using it. I'm looking for a way to make Netscape work *peacefully* with
StarOffice 5.0 and AnswerBook under Solaris 7. Could anyone please,
please help me?

Thank you soo much!

Edward

2. Help! Installing Yggdrasil's Motif Release

3. Linux Newbie can't install netscape.

4. "press any key..." user input

5. Installing Netscape from cd-rom.

6. Command: Which Distribution

7. installing netscape

8. Cheap NE-2000 clones..?

9. Installing Netscape on Redhat 4.2

10. Installing Netscape Browser with XFee86

11. How do i install Netscape?

12. ns-install - Netscape

13. Help with install Netscape on Solaris 2.5