>64M RAM chestnut - ? new twist

Post by Davi » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:17:22

I know this is an old question. No doubt I am making a simple mistake
but I have done my best with web search results.

Basic situation same as for old postings - BIOS correctly reports 128M
RAM, free reports only ~64M under the word "total". However,
(a) I am using kernel 2.2.16-22 (RH7) which ? is not supposed to require
editing of lilo.conf
(b) I have edited lilo.conf with
         append="mem=128M"
under the label=linux line with no effect.

Have I mucked up the syntax?
Am I looking at the right number with free?

If this is an often-answered question I apologise but the only remedy I
could find was the above, and only with older kernels.

David

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:52:36

> I know this is an old question. No doubt I am making a simple mistake
> but I have done my best with web search results.

Then you have done amazingly badly.

Quote:> Basic situation same as for old postings - BIOS correctly reports 128M
> RAM, free reports only ~64M under the word "total". However,
> (a) I am using kernel 2.2.16-22 (RH7) which ? is not supposed to require
> editing of lilo.conf

Why not? It's up to your bios.

Quote:> (b) I have edited lilo.conf with
>          append="mem=128M"
> under the label=linux line with no effect.

And did you run lilo, so that the change may take effect?

Quote:> Have I mucked up the syntax?

Syntax is right. 127M would be safer.

Quote:> Am I looking at the right number with free?

How can I tell? You didn't show us what you saw.

Quote:> If this is an often-answered question I apologise but the only remedy I

It is. It's asked and answered every day. Would you mind giving me a detailed
rundown on HOW you ran a web search? I want to know how you can get no results.

Quote:> could find was the above, and only with older kernels.

The remedy is correct. There is nothing about the remedy that pertains to any
particular kernel version.

Peter

Post by Michael Fauro » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 02:47:31

: Basic situation same as for old postings - BIOS correctly reports 128M
: RAM, free reports only ~64M under the word "total". However,
: (a) I am using kernel 2.2.16-22 (RH7) which ? is not supposed to require
: editing of lilo.conf
: (b) I have edited lilo.conf with
:          append="mem=128M"
: under the label=linux line with no effect.

And did you run the command "lilo" after editing?

 Michael | mfaurot  | Scientists will study your brain to learn more about
 Faurot  | atww.net | your distant cousin, Man.

>64M RAM chestnut - ? new twist

Post by Davi » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:03:29

Thanks. My mistake was thinking that a reboot would do the same thing.

Once again, I apologise.

To any other newbies like myself - you will find responses in other
groups that state kernels after 2.0.0 autodetect >64M RAM. If
"autodetect" means not having to edit lilo.conf, this was incorrect for
me.

> : Basic situation same as for old postings - BIOS correctly reports 128M
> : RAM, free reports only ~64M under the word "total". However,
> : (a) I am using kernel 2.2.16-22 (RH7) which ? is not supposed to require
> : editing of lilo.conf
> : (b) I have edited lilo.conf with
> :          append="mem=128M"
> : under the label=linux line with no effect.

> And did you run the command "lilo" after editing?

> --
>  Michael | mfaurot  | Scientists will study your brain to learn more about
>  Faurot  | atww.net | your distant cousin, Man.

>64M RAM chestnut - ? new twist

Post by Bit Twist » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:41:00

thought RH 7 used grub.

The examples here are for 128M.  Change 128 to your memory value.

----------------- If using lilo ---------------------------
        edit /etc/lilo.conf and add
        append="mem=128M"
        save changes, exit the editor, then
        /sbin/lilo     to install the change into the mbr.
        Next boot should have the change

example:
timeout=50
append="mem=128M"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
or
append="mem=128M hdd=ide-scsi"     if you already have an append cmd

---------------- if using grub ---------------------------

        edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add
             mem=128M
        Next boot should have the change

example:
title linux
kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5  mem=128M

-------------- to replace lilo with grub --------------------

cd /boot/grub
sh install.sh

-------------- Still having problems ---------------------------
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/ramdetect.html

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

>64M RAM chestnut - ? new twist

Post by Davi » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:45:32

Thanks, especially for the linuxnewbie link. That will certainly save
some unnecessary questions on other subjects.

Post by moonie; » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:52:25

>I know this is an old question. No doubt I am making a simple mistake
>but I have done my best with web search results.

>Basic situation same as for old postings - BIOS correctly reports 128M
>RAM, free reports only ~64M under the word "total". However,
>(a) I am using kernel 2.2.16-22 (RH7) which ? is not supposed to require
>editing of lilo.conf
>(b) I have edited lilo.conf with
>         append="mem=128M"
>under the label=linux line with no effect.

>Have I mucked up the syntax?
>Am I looking at the right number with free?

>If this is an often-answered question I apologise but the only remedy I
>could find was the above, and only with older kernels.

>David

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/ramdetect.html

--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)
ICQ #83003404
AIM mooniesdl3

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:54:45

>I know this is an old question. No doubt I am making a simple mistake

You are .. try reading the instructions again.

Quote:>Basic situation same as for old postings - BIOS correctly reports 128M
>RAM, free reports only ~64M under the word "total". However,
>         append="mem=128M"
>under the label=linux line with no effect.

>Have I mucked up the syntax?

Syntax fine, human wrong: forgot to run lilo.

[moonie wrote]
) http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/ramdetect.html

Seems like a lot of fuss about nothing. But useful place to point
people so they go away and don't come back!

Peter

1. RAM > 64M and settings SCSI transfer rate

-- Hiya, two questions..
(1) during boot up my RedHat 4.0, I notice that it sets the SCSI
transfer rate as 10
Mhz.However, I am currently using Adaptec 2940UW. That is, with transfer
rate of 40Mhz.
So, how do can I reset the transfer rate to 40Mhz?

(2) If I want to upgrade my memory > 64M Ram, would it be troublesome
for Linux? Uh, do
need to pass these informations via Lilo or I need to recompile my Linux
kernel?

thankx.

           |       /
        /  |      /                Andrew Lam
      /__  |     /               ----------------------

2. 2nd NIC card on Solaris 7

3. RAM > 64M ?

4. Where are the environment variables?

5. Why can't Linux recognize > 64M RAM and Win95 can?

6. Moving an app/OS between machines

7. RH 6.0 not recognizing RAM > 64M even after lilo.conf edit

8. how to connect 2 modem 1 pc?

9. Intel TX board with > 64M RAM

10. > 64M RAM

11. Linux + RAM >64M

12. SLIP/PPP -->new kernel-->new compiler-->new make