A GURU question? Sending CTRL-ALT-F4 to /dev/console

A GURU question? Sending CTRL-ALT-F4 to /dev/console

Post by Jean-Serge Gagno » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
    Anyone know how to send an arbitray set of key presses to the
console? I know that 'chvt 4' will basically do that, but it doesn't
work when VMWare is running in full screen mode.

I tried using 'showkey' to figure out the keys I was pressing and then
using 'echo -ne "\oct1\oct2\oct3..." > /dev/console' but that didn't
work.

The problem I have is that I need to send that key sequence to the
console when apm shuts down my laptop in case a VMWare session is in
full screen mode.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for the cross post. I've posted before to only two groups and
never got any replies at all!

--

Applications Director         613-225-0516
Newlix Corporation            http://www.newlix.com

A GURU question? Sending CTRL-ALT-F4 to /dev/console

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[...]

Sorry, no answer for your question, however:

Quote:>P.S. Sorry for the cross post. I've posted before to only two groups and
>never got any replies at all!

[...]

This is not necessary, because the list of newsgroups you crossposted
to did only contain precisely 1 (one) existing newsgroup.

comp.os.linux.admin       - never existed
comp.os.linux.questions   - superseded by the current col.* hierarchy
                            some 4-5 years ago
comp.os.linux.redhat      - never existed
comp.os.linux.development - is a directory and not a group

Complain to home.com and demand that they should update their
newsgroups listing - and possibly install pgpverify.

Michael

Post by David Hasset » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 13:37:31

>     Anyone know how to send an arbitray set of key presses to the
> console? I know that 'chvt 4' will basically do that, but it doesn't
> work when VMWare is running in full screen mode.

> I tried using 'showkey' to figure out the keys I was pressing and then
> using 'echo -ne "\oct1\oct2\oct3..." > /dev/console' but that didn't
> work.

Did you try sending a sequence to the 'pts' number rather than
/dev/console? e.g.

echo -ne "\167\157\162\153\151\156\147" > /dev/pts/0

That works just fine on my Linux box for normal text. However, sending
CTRL-ALT-F4 might be a bit trickier. Since that sequence switches my box
to virtual console 4, I can't be bothered investigating it further.
Sorry. :-)

HTH,

Dave. :-)

1. Sending CTRL-ALT-F4 to /dev/console

Hi,
    Anyone know how to send an arbitray set of key presses to the
console? I know that 'chvt 4' will basically do that, but it doesn't
work when VMWare is running in full screen mode.

I tried using 'showkey' to figure out the keys I was pressing and then
using 'echo -ne "\oct1\oct2\oct3..." > /dev/console' but that didn't
work.

The problem I have is that I need to send that key sequence to the
console when apm shuts down my laptop in case a VMWare session is in
full screen mode.

Thanks.

2. Solaris7 x86 and PCI modem

3. <ctrl-alt-f4> script?

4. Help!! Problems with kernel >2.2.5 & SMP

5. How to map Alt/F4 to Alt/F4?

6. Solaris 2.5.1 with CDE -- Question about contents

7. cannot change resolution using Ctrl-Alt+KP_- and Ctrl-Alt+KP_+

8. OK SORRY BUT...

9. Sending Ctrl-Alt-Del and binding Windows Key

10. X to Console; Ctrl-Alt-Fx does not work

11. Disabling Ctrl-Alt-Del from the console

12. Changing virtual consoles with CTRL-ALT F11,F12 hangs my system

13. Ctrl,Alt,Del from console shutdown?