unable to start X

Post by Jaap Brin » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:08:38

Dear group,

I have installed Mdk 7.2 on a Pentium-75 with a built-in Alliance video
chip.When trying to run X, it fails to start with the message "hung in
AmpSync()". I've seen several similar reports of this message in other
groups, but no expanation and/or solutions. BTW I've checked my BIOS to
ensure that APM is disabled. Anyone have an idea how to get around this
problem?

TIA,

Jaap

unable to start X

Post by RonB » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:11:19

> Dear group,

> I have installed Mdk 7.2 on a Pentium-75 with a built-in Alliance video
> chip.When trying to run X, it fails to start with the message "hung in
> AmpSync()". I've seen several similar reports of this message in other
> groups, but no expanation and/or solutions. BTW I've checked my BIOS to
> ensure that APM is disabled. Anyone have an idea how to get around this
> problem?

> TIA,

> Jaap

Did you check if your specific graphics chipset is supported under linux.
Where there any messages during instalation that pointed to possible
problems? Is Alliance the name of the chipset? What motherboard moddel do
you have?

RB

unable to start X

Post by Jaap Brin » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:49:48

 I actually got X up on this box before, but back then Iwas using RedHat
6.0.  The machine is a NEC PowerMate Pentium 75 and really is the perverbial
doorstop that got converted into a router/gateway/firewall, etc. Anyway,
from NEC's website it seems the mobo is a BCM 540/541 with an Alliance
ProMotion-6422 graphics chipset. From the SuSe website you can verify that
it supported in fact from XFree86 3.2 onwards.
So, it seems it really ought to work. Right now, Im recompiling the kernel
on this box having taken out the amp support from the kernel def.
At the time of writing this mail,  the machine's still compiling. I'll tell
you later if that did the trick.

J.

> > Dear group,

> > I have installed Mdk 7.2 on a Pentium-75 with a built-in Alliance video
> > chip.When trying to run X, it fails to start with the message "hung in
> > AmpSync()". I've seen several similar reports of this message in other
> > groups, but no expanation and/or solutions. BTW I've checked my BIOS to
> > ensure that APM is disabled. Anyone have an idea how to get around this
> > problem?

> > TIA,

> > Jaap
> Did you check if your specific graphics chipset is supported under linux.
> Where there any messages during instalation that pointed to possible
> problems? Is Alliance the name of the chipset? What motherboard moddel do
> you have?

> RB

-- Jaap Brink, Ph.D., Biochemistry, One Baylor Plaza, Baylor College of
Medicine, Rm. N420 Alkek Building, Houston, TX 77030 Phone: (713)798-6989

URL  : http://ncmi.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu/~brink

unable to start X

Post by Jaap Brin » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:09:32

Well, recompiling did not work. What in the end did work was t re-install an
older X-server. In fact, I installed v3.3.3 from a RH6.0 cd. I suppose the
morale is that the latest and greatest software product from whomever, like
either XFree86.org or RH or even Mdk, may not guarantee that all of yoour old
hardware automatically will work ;-)

>  I actually got X up on this box before, but back then Iwas using RedHat
> 6.0.  The machine is a NEC PowerMate Pentium 75 and really is the perverbial
> doorstop that got converted into a router/gateway/firewall, etc. Anyway,
> from NEC's website it seems the mobo is a BCM 540/541 with an Alliance
> ProMotion-6422 graphics chipset. From the SuSe website you can verify that
> it supported in fact from XFree86 3.2 onwards.
> So, it seems it really ought to work. Right now, Im recompiling the kernel
> on this box having taken out the amp support from the kernel def.
> At the time of writing this mail,  the machine's still compiling. I'll tell
> you later if that did the trick.

> J.

> > > Dear group,

> > > I have installed Mdk 7.2 on a Pentium-75 with a built-in Alliance video
> > > chip.When trying to run X, it fails to start with the message "hung in
> > > AmpSync()". I've seen several similar reports of this message in other
> > > groups, but no expanation and/or solutions. BTW I've checked my BIOS to
> > > ensure that APM is disabled. Anyone have an idea how to get around this
> > > problem?

> > > TIA,

> > > Jaap
> > Did you check if your specific graphics chipset is supported under linux.
> > Where there any messages during instalation that pointed to possible
> > problems? Is Alliance the name of the chipset? What motherboard moddel do
> > you have?

> > RB

> -- Jaap Brink, Ph.D., Biochemistry, One Baylor Plaza, Baylor College of
> Medicine, Rm. N420 Alkek Building, Houston, TX 77030 Phone: (713)798-6989

> URL  : http://ncmi.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu/~brink

-- Jaap Brink, Ph.D., Biochemistry, One Baylor Plaza, Baylor College of
Medicine, Rm. N420 Alkek Building, Houston, TX 77030 Phone: (713)798-6989

URL  : http://ncmi.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu/~brink

1. X-server unable to get started - but it's set to start on boot!

Hello

I have a problem in that I edited my XF86Config file after configuring the
X-server, but now when I boot into Linux the screen never comes up. I did
set it so that the X-server starts on boot, and now key combinations such as
Ctrl-Alt- F1-F6, Backspace don't work. The only thing I can do is
Ctrl-Alt-Del. Can anyone suggest another key combination, or how to prevent
the X-server from starting?

Specs:
Redhat 6.1
XFree 4.0
GeForce graphics card
KDE desktop

TIA

2. hme0 on ultra60's slow to configure!

3. unable to start X window

4. Hangs (no Sysrq) on Duron + KT333?

5. help needed : unable to start xwindows

6. How to effectively clear cache?

7. Unable to start X Window

8. My DREAM word-processor

9. Unable to start pppd as user

10. dtsession: Unable to start message server - exiting

11. SSHD (execvp) fails to start due to unable to read file -- /etc/rc.d/init.dfunctions

12. PANIC: unable to start /etc/init,

13. Unable to start X-windows with Stealth64