Ctrl-Alt+Keypad+ doesn't shift video mode

Ctrl-Alt+Keypad+ doesn't shift video mode

Post by Pat McGuir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am having a problem shifting video modes (Ctrl-Alt-Keypad+) using
Xfree86 3.3.2.  My keyboard is a A4Tech model number QA-3000
(manufacturer unknown).  The problem is X comes up in 320x200 mode only
(I'll explain that problem later) and none of the modes seem to be
available (either manually through xfconfig or through the keyboard hot
switch).  Now, the second problem is:

In an attempt to fix the mode problem mentioned above I downloaded
Xfree86 3.5.5.  The documentation stated that 3.3.5 now supports the
Intel i740 video card (my apparent problem with the 640x480 and above
modes not enabled).  Can I assume that since the modes wouldn't come up
through xfconfig that they won't come up using the keypad either?
Continuing further after I installed 3.3.5 I get a failure on the
postinst.sh script when making the new font directory (using
mkfontdir).  The error is:  unable to load shareable directory
__register_frame_info.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pat McGuire

Ctrl-Alt+Keypad+ doesn't shift video mode

Post by Armand Wels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I am having a problem shifting video modes (Ctrl-Alt-Keypad+) using
> Xfree86 3.3.2.  My keyboard is a A4Tech model number QA-3000
> (manufacturer unknown).  The problem is X comes up in 320x200 mode only
> (I'll explain that problem later) and none of the modes seem to be
> available (either manually through xfconfig or through the keyboard hot
> switch).  Now, the second problem is:

My experience has been that the Xserver always starts up in the highest
resolution available.  If it's coming up in 320x200, then you probably can't
go any higher.  The CTL-ALT-+/- only work within resolutions, and
colordepths that have already been defined using xconfig, have you tried
Xconfigurator (i think...)?

Quote:

> In an attempt to fix the mode problem mentioned above I downloaded
> Xfree86 3.5.5.  The documentation stated that 3.3.5 now supports the
> Intel i740 video card (my apparent problem with the 640x480 and above
> modes not enabled).  Can I assume that since the modes wouldn't come up
> through xfconfig that they won't come up using the keypad either?

Yes, see above comment.

Quote:> Continuing further after I installed 3.3.5 I get a failure on the
> postinst.sh script when making the new font directory (using
> mkfontdir).  The error is:  unable to load shareable directory
> __register_frame_info.  Any suggestions?

Sorry, new to the fonts.  Have yet to figure out how they function within X.

1. Lilo doesn't allow entry on boot w/ shift-ctrl-alt

I just upgraded my machine to an AMD DX-40 with a new motherboard and
I'm seeing some weird action on the part of LILO now. I have LILO set
up to wait 5 seconds for a SHIFT/ALT/CTRL, then boot DOS. It used to
work fine with my Intel DX-33 and old mother board: I hit SHIFT, then
type "linux" and it boots Linux. Now, I hit SHIFT and it immediately
boots DOS. I can't type anything.

The weird thing is that if I have a non-bootable floppy in, boot, get
the 'remove floppy' error, remove it, and hit a key, I can then hit
SHIFT and type 'linux'.

Has anyone seen this? I don't know how to solve it, or even where to
begin. I tried increasing the LILO delay to 30 seconds and it still
does the same thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Pete.

2. xterm problems RH6.0

3. cannot change resolution using Ctrl-Alt+KP_- and Ctrl-Alt+KP_+

4. SPARCStation20 FastEthernet

5. Graphic-Modes 8/16/32 bit by CTRL-ALT +/- ???

6. modem not working ?

7. How to use Alt-Ctrl-Keypad Keys under X11?

8. Security Vulnerability in CDE ttsession

9. ctrl-alt-f7 doesn't work on laptop

10. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work

11. my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

12. <ctrl><alt> + or - doesn't work to change resolution

13. ctrl-alt-del doesn't work