RAID1 Boot fails with LILO Error L40

Post by moonie; » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 13:16:39

>Hi,

>I am trying to get a Redhat 6.2 system booting with 2 disks in
>RAID 1 configuration.
>As you would probably expect, it does not work ;-)

>Here are some system details:

>- HP Netserver LPr
>- 2 original HP disks of 9.1G - SCSI
>- Redhat 6.2 "out of the box install"

>The first problem I encountered was the stock Redhat 6.2 LILO
>(sorry, do not know version anymore) said :
>"can't handle device 0x0901".

>I figured it was a more recent LILO that I needed.
>So, I installed the latest from MetaLab, version 21.5-1.

>Now I get a LILO error when booting:
>L40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40...

>This error code indicates a "seek error" according to the
>LILO readme.

>I also tried to specify disk geometry as reported by the
>power-on selftest screen as C/H/S=1024/64/32,
>without positive result.

>This is my current lilo.conf file:
>Note: /dev/md1 is my root, /dev/md0 is swap.

>boot=/dev/md1
>root=/dev/md1
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>prompt
>timeout=50
>linear
>default=linux

>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0smp
> label=linux
> initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0smp.img
> read-only
> root=/dev/md1

>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
> label=linux-up
> initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0.img
> read-only
> root=/dev/md1

>when running LILO the reply is:
>boot = /dev/sda6, map = /boot/map.0806
>Added linux *
>Added linux-up
>boot = /dev/sdb6, map = /boot/map.0816
>Added linux *
>Added linux-up

>Strangely enough, I did almost the same thing with 2 IDE disks on a
>homebuilt system and it works flawlessly with LILO 21.5 (also had
>to upgrade the standard Redhat 6.2 LILO version).

>Should I escalate this problem to the LILO maintainer(s) ?

>What is screwing me here BIOS, LILO, something else ?
>Please advise on this issue.

>Many thanks in advance.

>Best Regards,

>--
> Johan Severeyns
> R&D Engineer, Network Administrator
> IDCS N.V.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

I would say that your problem may be the fact that your /boot is in the RAID
array.  The problem is that the system doesn't know how to use the array before
the kernel is loaded.  I use a /boot partition to get around this problem.  I
do believe there is a way to do what you want, and there is (I believe) a
how-to at www.linuxdoc.org, but I have found that using a /boot partition
alieviates many problems, including this one.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   http://counter.li.org

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

Post by jsevere.. » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:54:27

> [...]

> >Many thanks in advance.

> >Best Regards,

> >--
> > Johan Severeyns
> > R&D Engineer, Network Administrator
> > IDCS N.V.

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

> I would say that your problem may be the fact that your /boot is in
the RAID
> array.  The problem is that the system doesn't know how to use the
array before
> the kernel is loaded.  I use a /boot partition to get around this
problem.  I
> do believe there is a way to do what you want, and there is (I
believe) a
> how-to at www.linuxdoc.org, but I have found that using a /boot
partition
> alieviates many problems, including this one.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I did exactly the same thing with 2 IDE drives.
The root partition containing /boot is also on a
RAID 1 volume. This one works and boots flawlessly.

Something wrong with my new Server/SCSI disks ?
Not very likely IMHO, since booting with floppy
(extremely slow) gives a perfectly good running
system.

Does anyone know where to contact
John Coffman (maintainer LILO) ?
There is no email address in the docs.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

JS.

Post by Christopher A. Steven » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:17:13

> [...]

> believe) a
> > how-to at www.linuxdoc.org, but I have found that using a /boot
> partition
> > alieviates many problems, including this one.
> > --
> > moonie ;)

> > Registered Linux User #175104
> >    http://counter.li.org

> > KDE2
> > Kernel 2.4.0-test5
> > XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
> > RAID 0 Striped
> > Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

> Hi,

> Thanks for the reply.

> I did exactly the same thing with 2 IDE drives.
> The root partition containing /boot is also on a
> RAID 1 volume. This one works and boots flawlessly.

> Something wrong with my new Server/SCSI disks ?
> Not very likely IMHO, since booting with floppy
> (extremely slow) gives a perfectly good running

Not sure if this helps, but here is a problem I once had.  I installed
GNU/Linux on a large harddrive.  When I did fdisk I gave me some message
about the large disk maybe having problems with LILO.  I installed LILO
and everthing worked fine.  Then a few months later, I upgraded the
system and LILO refused to work.  What was happening is that as long as
the kernel was in the first 1024 sectors of the disks (which by luck
happened in the first install), I was fine.  But after the upgrade, the
kernel must have been stored past that, and LILO would not work.  So
that is why a lot of people suggest that you use a small (~16M)
partition at the very first part of the disk and mount as /boot.  This
ensures that the kernel will always be before the 1024 cylinder limit
and accessable by LILO.  So try to create a small (non-raid) partition
at the very first part of your disk and store the kernel there.

Also your boot=/dev/md1 looks a little strange.  I know LILO can be
installed in the master boot record (MBR) by using a device with no
partion number (/dev/hda) or alternately in a partition with the
bootable flag set (/dev/hda1).  But I haven't seen this done with a RAID
device.  But I've never tried it either.
But you say it worked before, so it must be supported.  However, you
might want to try putting LILO in the MBR instead.  (BIG Warning:
messing with MBR can cause other OS's you might have installed to stop
working). So be careful.

1. lilo failing to boot initrd, boot process drops to init prompt

Hi there!

I'm messing around creating bootable ElTorito CDROMs and having
trouble
to start the initial ramdisk.

short story:
lilo installs fine into the boot image we create
booting the generated cd gives the following:
      + lilo works fine
      + kernel loads fine
      - /linuxrc file isn't started at all
      - boot process drops to # prompt, that doesn't provide any shell
      - ctrl-d (exit) triggers "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init"

question:
any insights on what realy fails appreciated. i'm not sure if lilo
fails to initiate the ramdisk correctly or if there is trouble
mounting the ramdisk or anything else.

thanks
bernd

boot msg snippet:
TCP: Hashtables configured (established 32768 bind 32768)
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMB for Linux NET 4.0
Freeing initrd memory: 1639k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory: 68k freed
init-2.05b#

lilo.conf used to make El Torito boot image:

disktab=/home/lingnau/Pawisda/cds/build/lilo.loopfix

 boot=/dev/loop3
 message=/tmp/loop3/boot/boot.msg
 install=/tmp/loop3/boot/boot-text.b
 map=/tmp/loop3/boot/map
 prompt
 compact

 image=/tmp/loop3/vmlinuz
   label=linux
   root=/dev/ram
   initrd=/tmp/loop3/initrd.img
   ramdisk=28492

2. Wanted: Entry level 10base-T hub

3. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

4. Startup at boot

5. alpha (alcor) failing during boot: NCR53c810/NCR53c875 give error "Cache test failed"

6. Killing Users

7. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux

8. iBCS is too dependend of kernel version!

9. LILO, BOOT ERROR, DISK ERROR AND MUCH MORE FUN

10. 2.4.18 raid1 - fix SMP locking/interrupt errors, fix resync counter errors

11. LILO error on trying to boot DOS (Error X04)

12. AIC + RAID1 error? (was: Re: aic7xxx errors)

13. 2.4.19: Strange raid1 resync problem with raid1 on top of multipath raids