Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

Post by Wayne Huan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I installed Linux in my NT box for experimenting.
I accidently let LILO over wrote my master boot
record. Now I am unbale to boot NT.  This is
what I have (had):
     10 GB IDE drive
        C:\  (2GB)        NT system (NTFS)
        D:\  (5GB)        NT data (NTFS)
        Free space 2.5GB

RedHat 6.1 was installed on the free space.
Since I choosed Workstation install so it
automatically overwrote the MBR. Now I am
left unable to boot back to NT. Could someone
help me to restore MBR so I can boot NT?

I should not install LILO in the MBR but
that was done.  Please help!!

Thanks

Wayne

To response, please send email to

Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

Post by Brian Rolf » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Do you want to keep linux?  Then goto option 2.

Option 1:
        - boot to a dos boot disk
        - then type
                fdisk /mbr

Option 2:
        - get lilo to boot NT
        - in /etc/lilo.conf add
                other=/dev/hda1
                        label=NT
                        table=/dev/hda
        - run /sbin/lilo

--Brian

--
The free Corel  LINUX  OS Download is NOW available! Check it out at
http://linux.corel.com

1. HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

Okay,,,

Call me stupid if you like, i installed lilo onto my /dev/sda1 partition,
which just happens to be my main DOS drive!!

Now, after doing this, i get an "invalid media error". Is there any way
for me to restore my DOS drive to its former glory (it contains some
courseworks :-(() . Trying to fdisk /mbr from a boot disk does nowt.

Please, Please help..

Please mail directly...

Hoping someone can help..

Dave

2. help with instalation of patch

3. Does RH Linux 7.0 overwrite my windwos2000 Master Boot Record?

4. Cheap PCI enet card that Linux likes?

5. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

6. Problem using Boot LinuxPPC

7. Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

8. Minicom/rz... how to see output during download?

9. lilo setup overwrote win95 boot record

10. Removing LILO from Master Boot Record

11. LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

12. master boot record -- LILO ATTACK

13. delCMOS.B, master boot record, lilo