Lilo -- System Commander = Confusion

Post by jwhit » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

I'm running Redhat 5.1, Linux 2.0.35, System Commander Deluxe. I have a
dual boot system Windows on hda1, Linux on hdb1.

On my System the following files are located:
lilo.conf    is in /etc/
lilo            is in /sbin/
map             is in the /boot
boot.b          is in the /boot

all the kernels I know of are in /boot

When I boot with System Commander, it gives me the selection window with
selections Windows 95, DOS, Linux etc. I select Linux and it drops me to
the Lilo prompt.

Here is where the confusion begins, if I press the <TAB> key I'm given
the choices of

linux    Dos

Yet none of my kernels are called linux, and no mention in my Lilo.conf,
label=, see below. What is it booting? You can see some of the names (in
the lilo.conf)of
kernals I have in the /boot  directory. Which ever it is booting, it's
working ok, but I just recompiled (vmlinuz is the new one)to add
ethernet support and would like to give that one a shot.

I did a rdev and it reports /dev/hdb1  which is the /

I had the boot=/dev/hdb1 but after reading something in a How To I
changed it to boot=/dev/hdb , don't know if this is correct or not. Is
the
root=/dev/hdb correct.I tried it several ways.

Should the root device be the /boot ? Since this is where all the
kernels seem to be located. Or does the lines in lilo pointing to the
/boot   directory take care of that? I'm pretty confused about that.

Also when I run lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf  (-C is to tell it what conf to
use) it reports "Empty map selection" any idea what that's about? map
and boot.b files both reside in the /boot directory.

This is from System Commander Web Site:
Linux should boot through LILO installed into the root superblock
(which is a different name for partition boot record). LILO should
 not be installed into the MBR.

I know this is a stupid question, how do I check where Lilo is currently
installed?

This is from "man lilo" how do you use it?

/sbin/lilo -I  The label of the running kernel can be found in the
stdout.

boot=/dev/hdb
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map

prompt
        image=/boot/vmlinuz
                mem=112M
                label=vmlinuz
                root=/dev/hdb

        image=/boot/vmlinuz9904
                mem=112M
                label=vmlinuz9904
                root=/dev/hdb

        image=/boot/zImage
                mem=112M
                label=zImage
                root=dev/hdb

 Thank You

 Joe

                          Joseph White

Lilo -- System Commander = Confusion

Post by Michael D Phillip » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I got mine to work by deleting the word prompt in the lilo.conf

   Michael D
   /"|\  /|"\  WebPage:  http://www.dreamscape.com/phillipm

   \_|    |    ICQ:  19255038
   Phillips

> [...]

>root=/dev/hdb correct.I tried it several ways.

>Should the root device be the /boot ? Since this is where all the
>kernels seem to be located. Or does the lines in lilo pointing to the
>/boot   directory take care of that? I'm pretty confused about that.

>Also when I run lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf  (-C is to tell it what conf to
>use) it reports "Empty map selection" any idea what that's about? map
>and boot.b files both reside in the /boot directory.

>This is from System Commander Web Site:
>Linux should boot through LILO installed into the root superblock
>(which is a different name for partition boot record). LILO should
> not be installed into the MBR.

>I know this is a stupid question, how do I check where Lilo is currently
>installed?

>This is from "man lilo" how do you use it?

>/sbin/lilo -I  The label of the running kernel can be found in the

1. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

I'm having the same problem at the moment.  I've managed to get
through configuring my other items (NT, 95, DOS).

I've upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.2.2, hoping the upgrade would shake
things loose and write a boot-sector to the drive I want to boot
FreeBSD on, but no luck.  The symptom is a pop-up dialog (presented by
System Commander at boot time) that says the boot record is bogus (or
something like that).

Of course, I can still boot off my floppy (with Boot: sd(2,a)/kernel),
so I know there's something there that's bootable.

But, I'm having trouble understanding the three choices sysinstall
gives you for boot records.  Can anyone give me a clue as to the
correct choice here if I've installed System Commander on the 1st
drive, and FreeBSD on my 3rd drive (and for what it's worth, on the
1st partition).

I used to multiboot using the NT loader using the method of compiling
a bood program from the FreeBSD src somewhere, creating a bootsec
program which I then deposited on Drive C: and then mucked with the NT
loader configuration to present the FreeBSD choice.  But along with
reorganizing my big drive 1, I changed to System Commander to take
advantage of some of the other features SC has like partition-hiding
and multiple primary partitions on a single drive.

Thanks
--
John Hight              hight

SRI International       sri.com

2. Ref Linux Device Driver Book - Examples/v2.1

3. Booting using lilo and system commander

4. Who is "kernel panic?"

5. System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo

6. mkuser for linux ?

7. Lilo and System Commander

8. ipchains + ipmasqadm Forwarding Issues

9. LILO w/& System Commander?

10. LI linux lilo system commander 2000 problem

11. Use of System Commander vs. LILO

12. Red Hat 4.2, LILO, and System Commander

13. LILO & System Commander woes