resource for ifup-eth script?

Post by Ray » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 06:44:59

folks

can anyone tell me the resource location for the ifup-eth script belongs
(i think this is supposed to live in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/)
along with ifup-ppp etc.

i'm using redhat 6.2 and foudn that the ifup-ppp script belongs to
initscripts rpm but this pkg does *not* contain the ifup-eth.

any thoughts would be appreciated.  appologies if this is a redhat
specific q.

many thanks
ray

Post by Paul Lutu » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:46:56

> folks

> can anyone tell me the resource location for the ifup-eth script belongs
> (i think this is supposed to live in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/)
> along with ifup-ppp etc.

What problem are you trying to solve? Do you possess the file in question, or
not? Which system error are you trying to solve?

Quote:

> i'm using redhat 6.2 and foudn that the ifup-ppp script belongs to
> initscripts rpm but this pkg does *not* contain the ifup-eth.

This has no meaning unless you have a NIC that is mapped to some eth*. Do
you have such a NIC?

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by Davi » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:18:07

> folks

> can anyone tell me the resource location for the ifup-eth script belongs
> (i think this is supposed to live in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/)
> along with ifup-ppp etc.

> i'm using redhat 6.2 and foudn that the ifup-ppp script belongs to
> initscripts rpm but this pkg does *not* contain the ifup-eth.

Yes it should be in  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts  and would be
named  ifcfg-eth0  or  ifcfg-eth1  depending on the device.

Have you configured the network?  If not you can use "netcfg"  in RH
6.2 to configure it.

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

Post by Ingo Paklepp » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:10:45

> folks

> can anyone tell me the resource location for the ifup-eth script belongs
> (i think this is supposed to live in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/)
> along with ifup-ppp etc.

> i'm using redhat 6.2 and foudn that the ifup-ppp script belongs to
> initscripts rpm but this pkg does *not* contain the ifup-eth.

> any thoughts would be appreciated.  appologies if this is a redhat
> specific q.

> many thanks
> ray

I don't think there is a file ifup-eth. At least, on my RH 7.2, there
isn't. If you were talking about ifcfg-eth0, that is not in any package,
but rather is generated on the fly.

You can always find out which package owns a particular file by typing rpm
-qf <filename>