Getting e-mail to work on our dedicated server

Getting e-mail to work on our dedicated server

Post by Carlos Moren » Sun, 26 May 2002 05:30:33

Hi,

We just got a dedicated server that for now is running fine for
all our purposes except for the e-mail.  The machine has RedHat 7.2
installed.

For the purpose of this message, I'm going to use www.example.com
as the name of that server  (not being sure if sendmail is properly
configured, I don't want to write an open invitation to hackers
into our machine  :-))

So, the web hosters (the guys that have the machine and did the
setup) already created the MX record in their DNS -- in fact,
if I do  ping mail.example.com, the machine responds, and the
IP is the same IP as www.example.com

I followed the RedHat-ISP-Setup-HOWTO on www.linux.org;  they
suggest that sendmail and the popper (I'm using the one they
recommend, Qualcomm's popper -- current version is 4.0.4) be
run via xinetd, instead of directly through the init scripts
(e.g., /etc/init.d/sendmail)

I did the changes in the sendmail.cf file, also in sendmail.cw,
where I put:

example.com
mail.example.com
www.example.com

Then I restart xinetd  (running /etc/init.d/xinetd restart), but
no effect:  I can't connect, neither to port 25, nor port 110.

I tried from the same host, from other hosts, all of these
commands:

telnet mail.example.com 25
telnet example.com 25
telnet www.example.com 25

(and same thing for port 110), but nothing -- I get connection
refused in every single case.

Any kind sould could point out what I'm missing, or what I
may be doing wrong?  Any pointers to "easy-to-understand"
documentation would be appreciated  (I know easy-to-understand
is a relative term...  Let's say that I found that section of
the ISP-Setup-RedHat-HOWTO very easy to understand...  Well,
maybe I did *not* understand it?  :-))

Thanks in advance !!!

Carlos
--

Getting e-mail to work on our dedicated server

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sun, 26 May 2002 11:55:46

Quote:

> Hi,

> We just got a dedicated server that for now is running fine for
> all our purposes except for the e-mail.  The machine has RedHat 7.2
> installed.

> For the purpose of this message, I'm going to use www.example.com
> as the name of that server  (not being sure if sendmail is properly
> configured, I don't want to write an open invitation to hackers
> into our machine  :-))

> So, the web hosters (the guys that have the machine and did the
> setup) already created the MX record in their DNS -- in fact,
> if I do  ping mail.example.com, the machine responds, and the
> IP is the same IP as www.example.com

> I followed the RedHat-ISP-Setup-HOWTO on www.linux.org;  they
> suggest that sendmail and the popper (I'm using the one they
> recommend, Qualcomm's popper -- current version is 4.0.4) be
> run via xinetd, instead of directly through the init scripts
> (e.g., /etc/init.d/sendmail)

> I did the changes in the sendmail.cf file, also in sendmail.cw,
> where I put:

> example.com
> mail.example.com
> www.example.com

> Then I restart xinetd  (running /etc/init.d/xinetd restart), but
> no effect:  I can't connect, neither to port 25, nor port 110.

> I tried from the same host, from other hosts, all of these
> commands:

> telnet mail.example.com 25
> telnet example.com 25
> telnet www.example.com 25

> (and same thing for port 110), but nothing -- I get connection
> refused in every single case.

> Any kind sould could point out what I'm missing, or what I
> may be doing wrong?  Any pointers to "easy-to-understand"
> documentation would be appreciated  (I know easy-to-understand
> is a relative term...  Let's say that I found that section of
> the ISP-Setup-RedHat-HOWTO very easy to understand...  Well,
> maybe I did *not* understand it?  :-))

> Thanks in advance !!!

What does "chkconfig --list" say about these services? And are you running
iptables?

1. Linux dedicated UT server vs. Win32 dedicated server ?

Hello

I have a UT dedicated linuxserver at home. The hardware is not the fastest,
but it works good for me and my friends. We can play with 2 human players
and 4 bots. The server is a P133, 64 MB EDO Ram on an Iwill P54TS Board with
an 3c900B XT 10/100 Networking Card. Do not laugh about the fast CPU :-)

Ok, I would known if a NT Server configured on the same machine with a Win32
UT dedicated server is as fast as the linux server who is installed at the
moment. Who needs more system memory. The NT or the Linuxserver ? Who has
the better networkingperformance  ( low pings, little lag ..)

is it advisable to change from linux to NT or is it better to leave the
system as it is ?

Thanks in advance
Frank

2. Killing process

3. Dedicated Unix dedicated Server

4. RH5.1 CDROM not recognized

5. Email via dedicated POP/mail server?

6. What is "Eumel"?

7. getting server side includes to work with apache server

8. 10 M or 100M NIC?

9. Problem getting Server Side Include to work on IBM HTTP Server (Apache Build).

10. Getting e-mail to work on our RedHat 7.2 box

11. getting e-mail from linux server problem

12. simple email server with pine doesn't work

13. To add two network cards and try to work an email server?