Linux Command Line Syntax

Post by Stev » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Since I am new to Linux and Unix can someone please tell me where I can
find a complete set of command line syntax's for Linux?

                            Thanks...

Linux Command Line Syntax

Post by Juergen Exn » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

   Since I am new to Linux and Unix can someone please tell me where I can
   find a complete set of command line syntax's for Linux?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no formal syntax for the
command line and in fact it can't be,  because the syntax of the
command line depends on the shell that you are using and NOT on linux.

Each shell (sh, csh, tcsh, bash, ...) has a slightly different syntax
for every-day features and sometimes large differences for more specific
features.

Therefore you should consult the man-page for your shell if you want
to learn about the specific syntax for variable sustitution, history
expansion, escape-quotations, controllflow and so on.

Greetings jue

snail-mail: TU Berlin; Sekr. FR 5-13; Franklinstr. 28-29; 10587 Berlin
=-=-=-=-= "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that"  HAL 9000  =-=-=-=-=-=

Linux Command Line Syntax

Post by Stephen Farlo » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

You can either type " man <command name>" or purchase an EXCELLENT summary of
commands and resoureces named the "Linux Commands & Resources" by Howard Goldberg
that is advertised in the Linux Journal.