cdrecord and atapi scsi emulation writing audio tracks

cdrecord and atapi scsi emulation writing audio tracks

Post by David B. Bukowsk » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

im trying to record audio tracks on an atapi eide drive using scsi
emulation.  Data burns fine... but the audio doesn't.... I used cdda2wav
to read the data into a .raw format. then used 2 different methods.  1
time i used xcdroast but it didn't like to work.  Then I tried it with
just cdrecord command line.  Same result.  It starts off really loud and
amplified.  then just starts to get louder and overdrives the dsp device
causing massive fuzzy noise... But when I use xwave to play the file it
plays perfectly fine.  but when I ran it in the xcdroast play audio track
and also played the cd in the cd player it just went haywire like that.
Here is what I have in my kernel messages on boot up if it would help...
loop: registered device at major 7
hda: Maxtor 71626 AP, 1554MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=3158/16/63
hdb: Maxtor 72004 AP, 1916MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=3893/16/63
hdc: Memorex CRW-1622, ATAPI drive - enabling SCSI emulation
hdd: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:280, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: Memorex   Model: CRW-1622          Rev: D2.3
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom total.

thanks in advance and if you need more details let me know...

David B. Bukowski
irc.another.net:  davebb

http://131.156.111.8 (sts4b8.rhcl.niu.edu)
ftp://131.156.111.8 (sts4b8.rhcl.niu.edu)
admin on TICS (internet chess server telnet 131.156.111.8 port 5000)
admin on MEWIS (internet chess server telnet 131.156.111.8 port 5555)
admin on Dave's IRC server (/server 131.156.111.8 6667)
AnotherNet IRC Help Staff member (irc.another.net)

OS:  Slackware Linux (kernel 2.0.33)
Computer:  NEC Pentium 120
RAM:  80 Meg
My Opinion:  Linux Rocks!!!

Post by G. Dunca » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> im trying to record audio tracks on an atapi eide drive using scsi
> emulation.

Cool. I was wondering when I'd hear about someone trying this.

Quote:> Data burns fine... but the audio doesn't.... I used cdda2wav
> to read the data into a .raw format. then used 2 different methods.  1
> time i used xcdroast but it didn't like to work.  Then I tried it with
> just cdrecord command line.  Same result.  It starts off really loud and
> amplified.  then just starts to get louder and overdrives the dsp device
> causing massive fuzzy noise... But when I use xwave to play the file it
> plays perfectly fine.

I read in one of the docs (I think for cdrecord) that the byte order on
each
sample will have to swaped. There may be a flag for this that should fix
the problem.

Quote:>  but when I ran it in the xcdroast play audio track
> and also played the cd in the cd player it just went haywire like that.

If the data was out of order I guess it could freak out xcdroast. It's
not the most stable app.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> im trying to record audio tracks on an atapi eide drive using scsi
>> emulation.
>Cool. I was wondering when I'd hear about someone trying this.

>> Data burns fine... but the audio doesn't.... I used cdda2wav
>> to read the data into a .raw format. then used 2 different methods.  1
>> time i used xcdroast but it didn't like to work.  Then I tried it with
>> just cdrecord command line.  Same result.  It starts off really loud and
>> amplified.  then just starts to get louder and overdrives the dsp device
>> causing massive fuzzy noise... But when I use xwave to play the file it
>> plays perfectly fine.

>I read in one of the docs (I think for cdrecord) that the byte order on
>each
>sample will have to swaped. There may be a flag for this that should fix
>the problem.

It seems that the current man pags or online help of cdrecord is misleading.
Cdrecord assumes raw audio data in motorola (big-endian) byte order.
This is the byte-order of every protocol (even SCSI) on the world.

.WAV files are usually in little-endian (intel) byte order. The .wav
files also have a 44 byte header before the actual audio data starts.
To use cdrecord with .wav files you need to strip off these 44 bytes from the
header and use -swab regardless of the natural byte-order of the CD-Recorder.

There soon will be a new cdrecord-1.6a9 that will be able to use .wav files on input.

Joerg

--

1. ide-scsi emulation for ATAPI cd writing problem

Hello,
    I am trying to get CD writing to work properly under Linux and I am
having some problems.  I know you have to use scsi emulation so I
recompiled my kernel without IDE ATAPI CD support and with both
generic scsi, and scsi CD modules.  However when I try to load the
scsi modules I get the following message:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
Vendor: MITSUMI   Model: CR-2801TE         Rev: 1.07
Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
aborting command due to timeout : pid 2,
scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1 Request Sense 20 00 00 10 00

Then the window freezes and I can only kill the process.  If I do
a lsmod the scsi-ide module is loaded but unitialized.  I am running
kernel 2.2.1 with Redhat 5.1 with a Mitsumi 2801 CDR.  Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

2. timezone problem during boot

3. cdrecord hangs my linux box when burning some audio tracks

4. general Curses info

5. cdrecord and LG 8081B CDRW-- problems with track at once writing

6. Finding IP-Spoofing Information

7. Audio Tracks on ATAPI CDROM

8. help with socket programming!!!

9. cdrecord not writing my atapi cdrw

10. reading audio tracks with ATAPI CDROM

11. cdrecord: Problems writing audio CD

12. cdrecord 1.10 LG CD-RW CED-8080B audio write won't work

13. problem writing audio-CDs (cdrecord and cdrdao)