3c509b network annoyance

Post by Ross McC » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am looking for ideas on what could be causing the problem I am seeing
with my network connection. I have a 3com 3c509b ethernet card attached to
a Cisco 760 router going out to an ISDN line. When I first boot up linux
(v2.0.35), I can connect the the network and can work for about 3-5 minutes
when the connection is dropped with the message:

Connection closed by foreign host
Network Unreachable

Everything that I try to do on the network from that point gives me the
network unreachable error. If I then go into netcfg and Deactivate and
Activate the network connection, I can log on to the net with no further
interruptions. What could cause a symptom like this and how can I
diagnose it? I have compiled the newest kernel and 3c509 driver, and verified
that the I/O address and IRQ have no conflicts. Any suggestions would be
welcome.

Thanks,

Ross

3c509b network annoyance

Post by James M. Roger » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am looking for ideas on what could be causing the problem I am seeing
> with my network connection. I have a 3com 3c509b ethernet card attached to
> a Cisco 760 router going out to an ISDN line. When I first boot up linux
> (v2.0.35), I can connect the the network and can work for about 3-5 minutes
> when the connection is dropped with the message:

> Connection closed by foreign host
> Network Unreachable

> Everything that I try to do on the network from that point gives me the
> network unreachable error. If I then go into netcfg and Deactivate and
> Activate the network connection, I can log on to the net with no further
> interruptions. What could cause a symptom like this and how can I
> diagnose it? I have compiled the newest kernel and 3c509 driver, and verified
> that the I/O address and IRQ have no conflicts. Any suggestions would be
> welcome.

> Thanks,

> Ross

  What does `ifconfig` and `route` tell you when you run them in the first
connection, the point at which you can't connect and then after you De/Activate
your network?  Please don't post actual IP addresses on any usenet newsgroup.

3c509b network annoyance

Post by Ross McC » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi,

>> I am looking for ideas on what could be causing the problem I am seeing
>> with my network connection. I have a 3com 3c509b ethernet card attached to
>> a Cisco 760 router going out to an ISDN line. When I first boot up linux
>> (v2.0.35), I can connect the the network and can work for about 3-5 minutes
>> when the connection is dropped with the message:

>> Connection closed by foreign host
>> Network Unreachable

>> Everything that I try to do on the network from that point gives me the
>> network unreachable error. If I then go into netcfg and Deactivate and
>> Activate the network connection, I can log on to the net with no further
>> interruptions. What could cause a symptom like this and how can I
>> diagnose it? I have compiled the newest kernel and 3c509 driver, and verified
>> that the I/O address and IRQ have no conflicts. Any suggestions would be
>> welcome.

>> Thanks,

>> Ross

>  What does `ifconfig` and `route` tell you when you run them in the first
>connection, the point at which you can't connect and then after you De/Activate
>your network?  Please don't post actual IP addresses on any usenet newsgroup.

ifconfig and route didn't show me anything out of the ordinary, but someone
e-mailed me with the solution to this problem. Redhat by default turns on
the gated daemon. Somehow this daemon doesn't interact well with the Cisco
router and was causing the dropped connections. Removed gated from my
configuration, all of my problems went away!

Ross

1. Networking with 3c509b network card.

I just installed Redhat 5.1 on a Gateway p75.
During the install, Redhat could not find my 3c509b network card.
How can you make Redhat see the network card using modules
with a 3c509b network card.
With Slackware, Their was a line in the /etc/rc.modules file that
I edited and everything worked.

Thanks in Advance

2. H70s and HACMP

3. 3Com 3c509B vs 3c509B-TP

4. aha1542 + >1 Gig SCSI problem

5. SoundBlaster 32 PnP + 3c509b -> no networking

6. permissions on eth0?

7. Troubles setting up network with 3com 3c509b ethernet card

8. HELP!:Meta Search Engine

9. Problems with 3Com 3c509b network i/f.

10. Help: 3c509B network card

11. Network card 3com 3C509B Etherlink 3 - problems anyone had this??

12. 3C509B-TX Network Card Config on Solaris x86

13. Network Card 3c509b