Help Reqd with fdisk - installing Linux, OS/2 Boot Manager,Win95, and NT

Help Reqd with fdisk - installing Linux, OS/2 Boot Manager,Win95, and NT

Post by Pete Heywo » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install these OSs on an 1GB EIDE HD. I also have 2 SCSI
4.3Gb HDs. I had one partition with win95/NT3.51 dual booting on the
EIDE, which I backed up and then deleted. I then created a smaller
partition to reinstall win95, intending to put boot manager in a
partition above this. However, trying to re-install dos prior to win95
(not being a real OS it needs dos to support it), I get an error
claiming that a version of DOS already exists. I can format the drive
sucessfully, but get no joy trying to install dos. I hope I am just
doing something stupid. Could someone please put me out of my misery.

I have tried:
o a small (200Mb) partition
o a large (900Mb) partition
o using the entire disk as the partition
o installing OS/2 bootmanager
o setting the partition installable using OS/2's fdisk
o setting the partition active using dos fdisk
o deleting all partitions
o using fdisk /mbr (from a:\ but on c:)
o using the Anyboot program

Any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received. If I could just
re-install dos I would be happy (ish).

Please post or e-mail me
Thanx in anticipation

Pete Heywood