no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

Post by tome » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 05:38:44

Hi,

I have set up X in Slackware to run in the 800x600 resolution
with no virtual desktop. However when I start X windows, the
desktop is still a little bit bigger than the monitor screen.

It seems that this is not the virtual desktop problem because
the desktop is only *slightly* bigger than the screen, and
there is only one virtual panel available.
The problem disapears when I swith to higher resolution.

What may be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greetings,
Tomek.

Post by Paul Lutu » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 06:06:13

> Hi,

> I have set up X in Slackware to run in the 800x600 resolution
> with no virtual desktop. However when I start X windows, the
> desktop is still a little bit bigger than the monitor screen.

> It seems that this is not the virtual desktop problem because
> the desktop is only *slightly* bigger than the screen, and
> there is only one virtual panel available.
> The problem disapears when I swith to higher resolution.

> What may be wrong?

The highest resolution determines the desktop size. If you do not want
the desktop to be bigger than the monitor's resolution, make the highest
resolution the default resolution.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

Post by tome » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:50:53

Many thanks for your explanation.

Greetings,
Tomek.

no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

Post by Rich Griffith » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:01:02

OH MY!  Please say it isn't so!

I just spent many hours fussing over that situation (stubborn newbie,
sigh).  I was SURE there was some setting I could make that would make
cause 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 all to fit nicely on the same
screen.

Is there no work-around?  No trick?  Hot-switching from mode to mode is
really neat, but panning seems terribly awkward.

... Rich

Post by Paul Lutu » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:27:06

> OH MY!  Please say it isn't so!

Sorry. At the moment, the desktop can have one size, and that size is the
largest size in the list of resolutions.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

1. no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

Hi,

I have set up X in Slackware to run in the 800x600 resolution
with no virtual desktop. However when I start X windows, the
desktop is still a little bit bigger than the monitor screen.

It seems that this is not the virtual desktop problem because
the desktop is only *slightly* bigger than the screen, and
there is only one virtual panel available.
The problem disapears when I swith to higher resolution.

What may be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Q: SMC 9000 ?

3. Desktop bigger than screen/display

4. problems with sendmail 5.65c+IDA

5. desktop size bigger than the screen

6. Apache dynamically loadable modules

7. Desktop is bigger then screen window

8. installing linux on a bare system with no cd-rom drive

9. X desktop resolution and virtual desktop

10. Don't want the virtual X screen bigger than physical screen

11. Virtual desktop screen grabber?

12. I'm VERY frustrated with screen resolutions and virtual desktop

13. virtual desktop too big to fit screen