Help! MetroX is curse in disguise!

Post by j.. » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I just installed RedHat 4.2 with MetroX and can't run x, xdm, whatever.
For starters, Xconfig won't recognize my mouse. I have a Microsoft mouse
plugged into a separate mouse port (i.e.not one of my COM or LPT ports)
and a Diamond Stealth Graphics 2001 video card with Nokia monitor. It
works fine; we tested it with the cat command. However, Xconfig won't
recognize it. And when I attempt to run X, it exits with some video card
error.

Please email. Thank you in advance.

Help! MetroX is curse in disguise!

Post by j.. » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I just installed RedHat 4.2 with MetroX and can't run x, xdm, whatever.
For starters, Xconfig won't recognize my mouse. I have a Microsoft mouse
plugged into a separate mouse port (i.e.not one of my COM or LPT ports)
and a Diamond Stealth Graphics 2001 video card with Nokia monitor. It
works fine; we tested it with the cat command. However, Xconfig won't
recognize it. And when I attempt to run X, it exits with some video card
error.

Help! MetroX is curse in disguise!

Post by Gregor Overne » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

When reading Metro-X 3.1 Enhanced Server Set, Release Notes for Linux,
you get the following hint:

"Before running Metro-X, make sure gpm (mouse shell program) is not
running. The gpm program is automatically started by some Linux
distributions. Look in your rc scripts."

Hope this helps,

gto

> I just installed RedHat 4.2 with MetroX and can't run x, xdm,
> whatever.
> For starters, Xconfig won't recognize my mouse. I have a Microsoft
> mouse
> plugged into a separate mouse port (i.e.not one of my COM or LPT
> ports)
> and a Diamond Stealth Graphics 2001 video card with Nokia monitor. It
> works fine; we tested it with the cat command. However, Xconfig won't
> recognize it. And when I attempt to run X, it exits with some video
> card
> error.

> Please email. Thank you in advance.

1. curses curses curses

Last year I developed a curses based program on my SUN IPC (Sunos 4.1.2).
Sunos 4.1.2 has a SysV version of curses, that is the version I used.
I recently tried to compile my program with the new SUN C compiler
(version 2.0.1 I think).  The curses routines that come with this compiler
are BSD routines.  BSD curses and SysV curses do not seem to be compatible.
The compilation crashed (unrecognized symbols being a glaring problem).
I logged into a Solaris 2.1 based SUN that also had the new Sun C compiler
installed, and it too had BSD curses.

I would like to know why Sun chose BSD curses for their C compiler.  I
thought they would surely use SysV curses for Solaris 2.x, since it is
SysV based (or does SVR4 use BSD curses by default?).

Is the source for SysV curses available via anon ftp?

Thanks for any help you can send.

--

2. Tru64 on AlphaPC164 LX ?

3. anybody use curses.h? what am i missing?

4. SB16 with Sony CDROM for Linux..

5. REDHAT 5 woes.... wondering if I am cursed..

6. LIBPATH

7. Am I cursed ?

8. Linux kernel distr could be 1/3 smaller

9. curses help help help

11. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help

12. Process Disguising ?

13. HELP WITH DIAL INS