NT4/linux install

Post by Pawel Dmochowsk » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am currently running win95 and winNT4 on my pc.
Win95 is set up on a 1.2Gig (Master) while NT4 is on a larger 6.4Gig Slave.
What i want to do is to get rid of Win95 and install Linux (RedHat 5.2). My
question is (and i admit i am rather unexperienced) :

When i boot up my system right now, it comes up with the NT OS loader. Does
that mean that part of the NT system is stored on my master drive? If so (or
in either case), how do I delete win95 and use that space for Linux without
hurting NT?

Any help would be greately appreciated.

pawel dmochowski

NT4/linux install

Post by Nickolay Kuzmi » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Yes, NT Bootloader occupies your boot record and also files like boot.ini,
NTldr, NTdetect and bootsect.dos should reside in the root of the first
hard drive.

You'll have to delete win95 files (but do not touch above files), shrink
that partition down to about 10 Mb (see fips docs). Then install linux on
now free space as described in the Linux+NT-Loader mini HOWTO.

--
The next day is never so good as the day before.
 Publis Syrus 42 BC, Maxim 815.