Why doesn't sendmail process local host mail immediately?

Why doesn't sendmail process local host mail immediately?

Post by Mark Tille » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Our new mail server on SlackWare 96' doesn't process local mail on our
internal ethernet until the queue time specified on the sendmail daemon
executable line in rc.M:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q 15m

in this case 15 minutes, so I decreased this to

/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q 1m

Our Sun Sparc always processed our internal mail at once. What's the deal?

Why doesn't sendmail process local host mail immediately?

Post by aceghos » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

could some tell were i could get linux for dos
and how to install it
i have intel p200 pro
64mb ram
3.4 gb
all the best and runnig win 95
but i heard the linux is the best
could some tell me were to get or send it to may email box
at

thanx

Quote:> Our new mail server on SlackWare 96' doesn't process local mail on our

Post by Jurgen Exne » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> could some tell were i could get linux for dos
> and how to install it
> i have intel p200 pro
> 64mb ram
> 3.4 gb
> all the best and runnig win 95
> but i heard the linux is the best
> could some tell me were to get or send it to may email box
> at

Are you sure, that you want to get dozens of e-mails with 120MB of
compressed data?

Have a look at http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux, in particular
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/FAQ and
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO

jue

BTW: I assume, you meant just Linux, because there is no Linux for DOS and
I'm sure it will never be.

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

Post by Pablo Sanche » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Our Sun Sparc always processed our internal mail at once. What's the deal?

perhaps you don't need the "-q" option at all.

-Pablo Sanchez (who is just learning about sendmail...)

Post by Neil Moor » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> BTW: I assume, you meant just Linux, because there is no Linux for DOS and
> I'm sure it will never be.

Although it would be kind of fun to run under DOSEmu... :)

--
-Neil Moore          http://www.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us/~amethyst/

Post by andre broe » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Our new mail server on SlackWare 96' doesn't process local mail on our
>internal ethernet until the queue time specified on the sendmail daemon
>executable line in rc.M:
>/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q 15m
>in this case 15 minutes, so I decreased this to
>/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q 1m
>Our Sun Sparc always processed our internal mail at once. What's the deal?

See the option DeliverMode or something like that in sendmail.cf. It
probably stands on queue instead of background.

TTYL andre

Why doesn't sendmail process local host mail immediately?

Post by Michael Plon » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

> >Our Sun Sparc always processed our internal mail at once. What's the deal?
> See the option DeliverMode or something like that in sendmail.cf. It
> probably stands on queue instead of background.

you might find the cause of this in rmail. Just take vi, open /usr/bin/rmail
search for "sendmail". You might find something like
"/usr/sbin/sendmail -oee -odq -oi". odq means queued delivery. Change it to
-odb for background delivery.

cu, mikey

* Grotenbachstr. 67                                                         *

1. why doesn't uucp work immediately?

In OS5.0, why don't my uucp requests get sent immediately?
With this version of the os, when I queue a file to be sent, it
only queues it.  It doesn't get sent until uudemon.hour comes around
looking for jobs to send.

In 3.2v4.2 it would send the file as soon as I queued it (Unless I
included the '-r' option on the uucp line)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is causing problems for
my support department.

2. 4.1.x kernel responds to Samba by default?

3. Can't process mail with 'user@host' format

4. 2.5.68-mm1

5. Mail to another host in local net via sendmail

6. 2.2.5 Is fine-2.2.13 breaks SCSI?

7. Help-102066-09 doesn't like sendmail.cf - mail's down!

8. burning cdroms with mkisofs, cd-r drivers available?

9. Local Mail Processing with Sendmail

10. Please help...Why doesn't ip-up.local work ????

11. PPP: PPPD doesn't see local host (P-90)

12. DNS' local host always 0.0.0.0 - why???

13. Connection to Local Host doesn't work using Apache and Red Hat Linux 4.0