Divide by zero error on bootup?!

Post by Chris Bonha » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I've been running Linux 1.2.13 for some time now, and in the process of
updating to 2.0.0, I deleted some files.  They were files pertaining
to TeX, and I thought I could delete them since I don't use it.  Well,
after that when I booted up next I got a "Divide by zero" error and then
the usual register dump.  Does anyone know anything about this, or how
to even fix it?

Thanx.

--
Christopher M. Bonham   Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana USA
Computer Science Major  Computational Biology Research Group

Post by Hans Geo » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I've been running Linux 1.2.13 for some time now, and in the process of
>updating to 2.0.0, I deleted some files.  They were files pertaining
>to TeX, and I thought I could delete them since I don't use it.  Well,
>after that when I booted up next I got a "Divide by zero" error and then
>the usual register dump.  Does anyone know anything about this, or how
>to even fix it?

I had a similar error when running 'ps -u' just after the kernel upgrade,
I just had to upgrade ps too... There are a bunch of packages
which should be upgraded along with the kernel, in the case of RedHat
there are 11, gathered in the .../upgrade/2.0-kernel/ directory on
any mirror. They say there is a 'CHANGES' file with the sources,
which can tell exactly what you need... read it ?

--
:-- Hans Georg

student at Universitas Bergensis | http://brems.ii.uib.no/~s674/

Lady Fortuna is the protector of Capitalism,
please help unfolding Lady Justitia.