Monitor Resolution

Post by Doug Bryan » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Where do I go to set the color depth on X.  I used  XF86Setup to
initally configure X and I saw nowhere to set the color depth.

I tried setting up X with XConfigurator, selected 16 bit and finished
up.  When I started X, the resolution was the same as before(internet
gif's show pixels and are blurry.

By the way, I have a 4Mb STB Riva card and Optiquest V775.

Thanks very much for any help.
Doug

PS - if you reply via email please send it to one of the addresses
below. Thanks
--
Doug Bryant

Monitor Resolution

Post by jed » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Where do I go to set the color depth on X.  I used  XF86Setup to
>initally configure X and I saw nowhere to set the color depth.

~/.xserverrc
     X -bpp 16

Monitor Resolution

--

Now, is there any way to change the colour depth in runlevel 5, where
you don't type X to start it?

Kevin Miller

Monitor Resolution

Post by Mark Tranchan » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Now, is there any way to change the colour depth in runlevel 5, where
> you don't type X to start it?

man XF86Config, search for DefaultDepth, or DefaultColorDepth, or
something. It's an option somewhere in the file.

Mark.

Monitor Resolution

Post by jed » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

ote:

>> >Where do I go to set the color depth on X.  I used  XF86Setup to
>> >initally configure X and I saw nowhere to set the color depth.

>> ~/.xserverrc
>>      X -bpp 16

/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 16

Quote:>Now, is there any way to change the colour depth in runlevel 5, where
>you don't type X to start it?

>Kevin Miller

Monitor Resolution

Post by N. Emile Akabi-Davi » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > >Where do I go to set the color depth on X.  I used  XF86Setup to
> > >initally configure X and I saw nowhere to set the color depth.

> > ~/.xserverrc
> >      X -bpp 16

> --

> Now, is there any way to change the colour depth in runlevel 5, where
> you don't type X to start it?

In the screens section of your XF86Config add

        DefaultColorDepth 16

Since this file has to be read to start X, your
colour depth will be 16bpp
Caio
N.Emile <DeR vInYl JuNkIe>
/* Standard disclaimer in place */