How to "rcp"/"rsh" as "root"?

Post by TowXW.. » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 04:14:33

Hi all.

I guess this is a security safeguard; I find that I cannot use "rcp" and
"rsh" to operate another Linux machine while being the root user. How do I
enable this? I need this in order to transfer, load and map drivers, as
per the scripts accompanying KGDb. (Security is not a concern for now.)

I am using RedHat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.18.

If you see a 'X' in my address, remove it before e-mailing me.

The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound
boards can be obtained from:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/PCsoundcards/
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~mccreary/tbeach/faq.html
http://www.pasteur.fr/infosci/FAQ/PCsoundcards/
http://faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc...

How to "rcp"/"rsh" as "root"?

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:10:31

Quote:> Hi all.

> I guess this is a security safeguard; I find that I cannot use "rcp" and
> "rsh" to operate another Linux machine while being the root user. How do I
> enable this? I need this in order to transfer, load and map drivers, as
> per the scripts accompanying KGDb. (Security is not a concern for now.)

> I am using RedHat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.18.

> If you see a 'X' in my address, remove it before e-mailing me.

Rip *OUT* rsh, at least as a server, and install OpenSSH immediately (comes
with RH 7.2).

Use that instead, and alter /etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow root logins if you
need them.