Slackware setup insists on a CD

Post by Peter Sco » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Just went through the latest Slackware setup.  I had downloaded the
disk sets to a DOS partition, and the install went okay, but an odd
thing is that I *had* to have a CD in the drive even though I never used
it.  When I ran "setup", I got a continuous stream of messages about
something like "hdd: media not inserted or drive not ready" until I
pacified it with a CD.  I tried taking the CD out after "setup" had
started, but it just started complaining again :-)

I got my install done, I just thought this was odd...

--
This is news.  This is your      |  Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?   |  (Peter.J.Scott at jpl.nasa.gov)

Disclaimer:  These comments are the personal opinions of the author, and
have not been adopted, authorized, ratified, or approved by JPL.

Slackware setup insists on a CD

Post by Hugh McCur » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Just went through the latest Slackware setup.  I had downloaded the
> disk sets to a DOS partition, and the install went okay, but an odd
> thing is that I *had* to have a CD in the drive even though I never used
> it.  When I ran "setup", I got a continuous stream of messages about
> something like "hdd: media not inserted or drive not ready" until I
> pacified it with a CD.  I tried taking the CD out after "setup" had
> started, but it just started complaining again :-)

> I got my install done, I just thought this was odd...

If the latest is still Slackware 3.1 (96) then that is odd because I
loaded enough Slackware to do networking and compile the kernel to a
computer without a CD.

Just curious: which boot and root disks did you use.  I used the basic
IDE boot disk with the Color 144 root.  I don't remember much in the
was of details since I did the load last December.

--
Hugh McCurdy

Post by Larry Min » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: If the latest is still Slackware 3.1 (96) then that is odd because I
: loaded enough Slackware to do networking and compile the kernel to a
: computer without a CD.

If you go to ftp.cdrom.com today, you will discover that Slackware 3.2 has
been released.  I picked up a copy on CD-ROM from a vendor last Saturday,
and then checked against their ftp site to discover that there have been
a number of bug fixes applied to Slackware 3.2 since the CD-ROM went to
press on March 17th.

Larry

1. slackware insists on booting with grub?!

hi-
        no matter what i do, my new slackware 7.1 install ALWAYS tries to boot
with grub and has NO idea what to do.  i did not install grub.  I don't
know where it came from.  i have to specify where the kernel is and then
tell it to boot.
i'm booting from /dev/sda1 and i have infact installed lilo there
twice.  but it doesn't care, it still boots with grub.  how is this
possible?
                -eric

2. Help: Xfree with SiS 6326 8M

3. vold insists on ejecting cd!

4. Where did Corel Linux Go?

5. Slackware setup cannot mount CD drive

6. printing postscript with BJ100

7. slackware setup doesn't detect VERTOS CD-ROM drive

8. Apache 1.3 configuration

9. Slackware setup fails, CD scans & locks

10. slackware running from cd....setup cannot find path !!!

11. Slackware: CD-rom conflict (?) in setup

12. Q:slackware setup not recognize my second dos partion on setup,help!

13. New Linux CD-ROM: Low cost Slackware 1.2 CD - only $10!