56K Modem on RadHat Linux

Post by <new_u.. » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'm planning to buy a 56K modem for Linux Box. Could any one tell me which
one I should buy so that I do not fall into the hardware incompatibility
trap.

Thanks,
Satya Chauhan

56K Modem on RadHat Linux

Post by Gordon Wea » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: spake unto us, saying:

: >I'm planning to buy a 56K modem for Linux Box. Could any one tell me which
: >one I should buy so that I do not fall into the hardware incompatibility
: >trap.

: Any external modem should be fine.  Also, most internal modems should
: work, but be careful of Winmodems (which will NOT work) and PnP modems
: (which may present you with difficulties).

: --

:            OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
:                    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

I have a Zoom 56k fax modem that works fine.  The box discusses the
ability to set it to either PNP or fixed with jumpers.  I am using
the jumpered setup.

I don't have the model number with me since the machine is at home.  I set it
up quite a while ago with very little problem.  I hope they are still
selling the same model or one that works the same way.  Look at the box
carefully!

Gordon Weast

56K Modem on RadHat Linux

Post by Michael Stagg » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> : spake unto us, saying:

> : >I'm planning to buy a 56K modem for Linux Box. Could any one tell me which
> : >one I should buy so that I do not fall into the hardware incompatibility
> : >trap.

I'm using a 3com/USR 56k.  Make sure you don't get the 3com/USR winmodem.  The
winmodem says winmodem on the box.  A friend of mine just bought an AOpen
Fm56-ITU that works great.

56K Modem on RadHat Linux

Post by Howard Rensi » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I just bought and installed an external #comm 56k that I am running
out of Comm 1 and it works well.

--

Howard M. Rensin, KC3D
3405 Shady La.    SEARCHING: RENSIN/RENZIN,KALLET,KALETZKY & KLIAZKO

1. Pace 56k fax modem/what is best 56k for linux?

I feel almost insane asking this as I have a list as long as my arm of
problems that need sorting on my box, but I'm on a shoestring budget so
here goes.

I have a 56k Pace fax modem, for a Mac.  I can get/make a lead and get
the drivers to run it on the PC with windows, will it work with
Linux?????

If not what is the best modem to use, I see 3 com mentioned on the
hardware support/drivers page on linux.org.  Is there a particular
model/make.  Faxing is definately an issue.  I don't know much about
voice mail but if there is a good solution I might make use it.

Mark

2. login error

3. VNC Linux 56K modem and cable modem

4. Warning: null TTY for (88:##) in tty_fasync

5. Reasonable PCI 56K modem not Win Modem?

6. Printing on Novell printer - apsfilter | nprint ?

7. modem trouble: USR 56K V.90 voice fax modem

8. Can't use EtherExpress 16 CARD!

9. Any modem drivers for CONEXANT HCF v90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem

10. HELP MODEM SETUP!!! Global Village Teleport Modem 56K

11. PCI Modem Blaster 56k modem

12. When Is A V.90 Modem Really A 56K Modem?

13. Problem with modem US Robotics 56k Win modem