Installing Debian via PCMCIA (on laptop)

Installing Debian via PCMCIA (on laptop)

Post by Adam Sulmic » Mon, 19 May 1997 04:00:00

anyone out there made an fresh install of debian on laptop
while using the pcmcia-cs package?

I have installed redhat on my laptop quite few time and it is extermely
easy, but I wanted to give debian a try, but it seems the the pcmcia
install is light years behind the one on redhat.

anyways:
1) in the debian 1.3 it says that there should be 'menu selection for
pcmcia device drivers' but I could not find there anything like that,
so where is it?

2) assume I install the base system and copy
pcmcia-cs_2.9.5-2.deb , pcmcia-modules-2.0.30_2.9.5-2.deb
onto the system, into the /root/deb dir. how i go about installing them?

i did try something like dpkg --install /root/deb/pcmcia-cs_2.9.5-2.deb
but the result of installing of it was not 'automatical detetion and
autoconfiguration of the cards' as per the instruction.txt notes.

Thus if someone can help me with it, please email me.

-Adam

1. problems with Mandrake Linux install on a sony 505F laptop - PCMCIA card install issue

Ok.. I've got my little Sony 505F booting up with the remote CDROM (a
Sony CD5 with a Ninja PCMCIA ATA card).

I'm trying to install Mandrake Linux (the Linux for Windows variant
that allows one to install Linux into a Windows partition without
having to repartition the hard drive). I've upgraded the hard drive
to a 20g Toshiba (a 2016 if it matters) and set up a 4gig partition
for Linux (a win32 partition).

The 505F will boot from the Mandrake CD, but after that I'm out of
luck. It always (doesn't matter whether I type linux4win, expert, or
<ENTER>) asks me what type of CDROM I have. I tell it ide-cd (because
my Matshita UJDB110 - the Sony - isn't in the list) and it does
absolutely nothing. It says it doesn't find the hardware.

I've set the BIOS to "not Plug 'n Pray". I have read with RedHat that
Linux doesn't use the correct addresses for the CDROM (they are
0x180, 0x386).

But autoprobe doesn't work, and the DAMN MANUAL (what a piece of
crap) doesn't tell you how to provide options to the module. At the
<F1> screen, it says that you can only pass options to the module in
expert mode BUT IT NEVER GIVES YOU AN EXAMPLE OF A VALID FORMAT. So
I've tried the following arguments when asked to specify options:

    linux ide2=0x180, 0x386
    ide2=0x180, 0x386
    0x180, 0x386

None of these were accepted as valid options. Mandrake doesn't appear
to document anything of "options" in the manuals available on their
site for 7.2.

So I've spent about four hours on this and I'm extremely frustrated
(as you might guess).

Can anyone tell me how to get Linux4win (most preferable) or just the
regular Mandrake Linux 7.02 (I think that's what I just bought in the
store) to work?

Any help is very much appreciated.

thanks,
Stefan

(a VERY frustrated Linux novice)

2. ALTA Research ETC-16

3. Network config woes - Debian install on laptop

4. Makemap

5. Blank screen when installing Debian on a Micron laptop

6. install Linux on 486 system with no CDROM drive

7. Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop, Debian install gotcha

8. Something messing up my serial ports

9. HD Error Installing Debian on 4/25E Laptop

10. Problems installing Debian 2.0 on toshiba laptop

11. Debian pre1.1 install via ftp

12. install pcmcia-cs (2.9.5.3) package on Debian 1.2 - problem

13. Installing Debian via the Internet bootdisk error