Newbie SLIP/DIP help please ?

Post by santanu bhattachary » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi Folks,
        I am using a DIP script and running SLIP to log in. My script
seems to work fine, in that it returns what looks like a valid IP
address that it says has been assigned by whichever terminal server
it accessed. (there are three running simultaneously which assign IP
addresses dynamically)
                But I cannot telnet/ftp/ping any machine
at all with the dip running. What is the next step at this stage ? Any
attempt to telnet to any machine (including those on the same domain
as the terminal servers )results in a hostname lookup failure. My
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are setup for loopback. BTW if I do
ifconfig I do see sl0  running. How do I go from here to seeing the
rest of the world ? I would appreciate any info.
                regards,
                                                Santanu

Newbie SLIP/DIP help please ?

Post by Mark Levi » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>            But I cannot telnet/ftp/ping any machine
>at all with the dip running. What is the next step at this stage ? Any
>attempt to telnet to any machine (including those on the same domain
>as the terminal servers )results in a hostname lookup failure. My
>/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are setup for loopback. BTW if I do
>ifconfig I do see sl0  running. How do I go from here to seeing the
>rest of the world ? I would appreciate any info.
>            regards,

 Have you properly set up a DNS entry?  What happens if you try to ping with
IP number rather than hostnames?

                    Mark E. Levitt
    Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University

         Home Page:  http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint =  B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE  F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

Newbie SLIP/DIP help please ?

Post by S Bhattachary » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>                But I cannot telnet/ftp/ping any machine
>>at all with the dip running. What is the next step at this stage ? Any
>>attempt to telnet to any machine (including those on the same domain
>>as the terminal servers )results in a hostname lookup failure. My
>>/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are setup for loopback. BTW if I do
>>ifconfig I do see sl0  running. How do I go from here to seeing the
>>rest of the world ? I would appreciate any info.
>>                regards,
> Have you properly set up a DNS entry?  What happens if you try to ping with
>IP number rather than hostnames?

You were right, I was using the wrong DNS entry.
                        Thanks,
                                                Santanu
>--
>                    Mark E. Levitt
>    Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University

>         Home Page:  http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt
>PGP fingerprint =  B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE  F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
>Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

1. linux newbie needs help with dip and dynamic slip

Hmm...

This might sound awfully stupid but as a linux newbie I think this newsgroup
is a good way to ask questions about linux and stuff. :)

I have a dynamic slip acct and a Linux Slackware, but after days reading the HOWTO I still
can't figure out these problems below:

I tried to use dip but the modem doesn't connect. It doesn't even make a sound.
If you have a dip configuration for dynamic slip, could you send me the file,
please? :)

Also, how to test the slip connection once I get connected? I tried to email myself from elm
but it bounced back to me with some error messages. Do I have to setup something for this email thing
so it can go outside my computer? And same thing goes with ftp and telnet; I can't connect to
outside world.

Thanks for the info. :)

2. Mosaic + Term for XFree3.1

3. dip for slip problem please help!!!!

4. redirecting an FTP request?

5. Please Help. DIP fails to create SLIP device

6. Terminal server driver?

7. Linux Slip Server and Dip, please help with route problem

8. Need advice: Partitions for web-server

9. Absolute SLIP, PPP, DIP newbie needs serious HELP!

10. SLIP & DIP help needed, please.

11. More help with SLIP/DIP please ?

12. Newbie: Help Dip,SLIP

13. Please help me with this Dip/slip frustration