TFTP root disk?

Post by Nathan Neuling » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have looked at the remote booting pages, which talk about setitng up
boot roms w/ tftp support, however, this is not quite what I am looking
for.

I'd like to be able to have a boot/root disk pair, loading the kernel
from floppy, but tftp'ing (or ftp'ing) everything else.

I currently use a custom built pair of slackware boot disks that are
specially modified to load AFS (a distributed filesystem) and allow
installing from AFS, unfortunately, it's a two disk set.

I suppose I could rig up something with a single-disk boot/root, with
just enough on the root portion to tftp a real root filesystem into a
ram disk and then remount that ramdisk as root. But I'm not sure how to
go about doing that remount or if it's even possible.

Going one step beyond this, I'd like to see a disk that could tftp both
the kernel AND the boot disk.

Any thoughts/pointers?

-- Nathan

University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-4841
Computing Services                       Fax: (573) 341-4216

1. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

I have a root disk that was created with rawrite.  It is the color.gz
image.  I would like to mount the root disk and make some modifications
to the disk (adding nfs server capability).

I have tried mounting with various file system types and have had no
luck.

So, how can I mount it to make these modifications, or the bigger
question, how can I easily add nfs server capability to the basic
boot/root disk combination.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. Testing Whether an environment variable contains integer data in BASH

3. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

4. Pop3 server problem, help needed!

5. what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

6. Jumpstart Question

7. USB mouse problems

8. enable tftp and script tftp

9. Default TFTP root directory?

10. TFTP That does a fake root?

11. Can't login as root on SLS 1.02 root/boot disk!

12. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root floppies.