"Error 0x10" while Loading Linux...

Post by LaRu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Anyone know what this error means?:  Error 0x10

I just installed Linux, and LILO didn't work, so I tried booting Linux from
the floppy.  It starts to boot and then gives me that error.

That is my main question.  If you could answer this one, too, I'd appreciate
it.  The book that was helping me through the setup said that I should put
LILO on the first sector of the boot partition (rather than the Master Boot)
since I have two hard drives (the other is already running Win98), but I
have heard it should be put in the Master Boot.  Which is right?  Thanks.

Post by Mike Voelke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> : Anyone know what this error means?:  Error 0x10

> : I just installed Linux, and LILO didn't work, so I tried booting Linux from
> : the floppy.  It starts to boot and then gives me that error.

I just had this happen to me.  It turns out it was due to a bad image of
the boot disk on the floppy.  Did you make the disks with a Windows
command prompt (i.e. reboot in msdos prompt or w95 bootdisk)?  If so,
get yourself a DOS bootdisk and create the disks again.  I assume it
would also work if you could create the disk from Linux, but we're
trying to get you able to boot Linux, so never mind.  :)
--
Mike Voelker
Mensco, Inc.

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Anyone know what this error means?:  Error 0x10

>I just installed Linux, and LILO didn't work, so I tried booting Linux from
>the floppy.  It starts to boot and then gives me that error.

>That is my main question.  If you could answer this one, too, I'd appreciate
>it.  The book that was helping me through the setup said that I should put
>LILO on the first sector of the boot partition (rather than the Master Boot)
>since I have two hard drives (the other is already running Win98), but I
>have heard it should be put in the Master Boot.  Which is right?  Thanks.

I guess this is the error number returned by a BIOS disk read. From
Ralf Brown's Interrupt List:

Values for disk operation status:
 00h    successful completion
 01h    invalid function in AH or invalid parameter
 02h    address mark not found
 03h    disk write-protected
 04h    sector not found/read error
 05h    reset failed (hard disk)
 05h    data did not verify correctly (TI Professional PC)
 06h    disk changed (floppy)
 07h    drive parameter activity failed (hard disk)
 08h    DMA overrun
 09h    data boundary error
        (attempted DMA across 64K boundary or >80h sectors)
 0Ah    bad sector detected (hard disk)
 0Bh    bad track detected (hard disk)
 0Ch    unsupported track or invalid media
 0Dh    invalid number of sectors on format (PS/2 hard disk)
 0Eh    control data address mark detected (hard disk)

 0Fh    DMA arbitration level out of range (hard disk)
 10h    uncorrectable CRC or ECC error on read
 11h    data ECC corrected (hard disk)
 20h    controller failure
 31h    no media in drive (IBM/MS INT 13 extensions)
 32h    incorrect drive type stored in CMOS (Compaq)
 40h    seek failed
 80h    timeout (not ready)
 AAh    drive not ready (hard disk)
 B0h    volume not locked in drive (INT 13 extensions)
 B1h    volume locked in drive (INT 13 extensions)
 B2h    volume not removable (INT 13 extensions)
 B3h    volume in use (INT 13 extensions)
 B4h    lock count exceeded (INT 13 extensions)
 B5h    valid eject request failed (INT 13 extensions)
 BBh    undefined error (hard disk)
 CCh    write fault (hard disk)

 E0h    status register error (hard disk)
 FFh    sense operation failed (hard disk)

Copied from Ralf Brown's Interrupt List
--
Svend Olaf