help with some module errors at bootup...

help with some module errors at bootup...

Post by Timothy McClanah » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi, all. I've got most of the errors out of my bootup messages, but the
following ones have got me stumped. I'm a newbie, so don't laugh too
hard, otay?

 ---

lp: unable to get major 6
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California

any ideas here? I've got no idea what the lp one is about. As for CSLIP, I
didn't enable SLIP in my kernel - what else do I need to check?

thanks!

1. Unresolved symbols error related to modules seen during bootup.

I have 2.0.29 kernel from Slackware running just fine on my laptop
computer.

I want to change some features of the kernel and modules, so I followed
the prescribed reconfiguration and compilation routine to make a new
kernel, which I put on a boot floppy.

Now, when I boot up from this floppy, a number of new error/warning
messages appear, having to do with unresolved symbols related to the
modules. For example,
    /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/ipx.o unresolved symbol: make_8023_client
As far as I can tell, the unresolved symbols relate to things I wasn't
even trying to install. Certainly such messages do not appear when
booting my previous kernel.

In spite of these messages, the system seems to work fine. I'd like to
eliminate the messages, however, and would appreciate useful suggestions
for why they are occuring and what I should be doing differently during
the configure / compile process.

If you wish to send e-mail directly to me, remove the obvious anti-spam
component of the given e-mail address.

J. J. Ottusch

2. RedHat not KDE friendly

3. Strange module errors on bootup

4. Son of Unbork (3 of 3)

5. Help with module errors...with no modules

6. ADA

7. module dependencies problem upon bootup. Somebody help???????

8. JCE for Linux

9. Bootup error - please help me fix...

10. BOOTUP ERROR : HELP!

11. Help needed with AHA1540B SCSI errors on bootup.

12. HELP: Bootup Error .....

13. Checksum error upon bootup uf Sparc IPC - please help!