Kernel upgrade to 2.2.10, make zlilo broken?

Kernel upgrade to 2.2.10, make zlilo broken?

Post by John D. Vern » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,

I've just upgraded my kernel to 2.2.10, and after a little investigation
found out that "make zlilo" copied System.map and vmlinuz tp / and not
/boot like it used to.

Is this a known change, a feature or an isolated problem?

Has anybody else seen this?

Yours in puzzlement,

John

Kernel upgrade to 2.2.10, make zlilo broken?

Post by John D. Vern » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I've just upgraded my kernel to 2.2.10, and after a little investigation
> found out that "make zlilo" copied System.map and vmlinuz tp / and not
> /boot like it used to.

Never mind.  I just read the top-level Makefile a little closer, and
found the macro line I needed to uncomment.

John

Post by nospamssap » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Greetings,

> I've just upgraded my kernel to 2.2.10, and after a little investigation
> found out that "make zlilo" copied System.map and vmlinuz tp / and not
> /boot like it used to.

> Is this a known change, a feature or an isolated problem?

> Has anybody else seen this?

> Yours in puzzlement,

> John

In the makefile there is a line you need to uncomment in order to copy the
files to a location other than /
--
Stan

This message was sent to you from a machine powered by Linux...
(...for those who need to do more than peek through windows)

Suse 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.10

Kernel upgrade to 2.2.10, make zlilo broken?

Post by Marc D. Bumb » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

The  target location  for the  resulting binary  can be  found  in the
Makefile at the top level, ie /usr/src/linux/Makefile.

    John> Greetings, I've just upgraded my kernel to 2.2.10, and after
    John> a little investigation found out that "make zlilo" copied
    John> System.map and vmlinuz tp / and not /boot like it used to.

    John> Is this a known change, a feature or an isolated problem?

    John> Has anybody else seen this?

    John> Yours in puzzlement,

    John> John

1. 2.2.10 upgrade => broken networking

  dw>  Any ideas?  I have upgraded absolutely nothing else but the
  dw>  kernel -- do I need anything else for such basic networking to
  dw>  work?

Of course.  Moving from 2.0 to 2.2 kernel is a major upgrade, not like
2.0.35 to 2.0.36.

Go to any one of a number of Linux kernel sites and they'll have lists
of minimum versions of packages to get things working with the new
kernel.  Here's one such:

  http://www.linuxhq.com/change22.html

2. Config. Questions

3. Compilation problem 2.2.10 --->2.2.10-ac3

4. What if . . .

5. upgrading kernel to 2.2.10

6. new !!! Milcom Advanced Information Services

7. upgrading SuSE 6.0 to kernel 2.2.10

8. Q: Keyboard interrupt on HP

9. Upgrading kernel 2.2.9 to 2.2.10

10. upgrading kernel to 2.2.10 failed.

11. redhat kernel upgrade 2.2.10 problem

12. Kernel 2.2.10--->Kernel 2.2.13

13. Upgraded 2.0.36 to 2.2.10,->login: can't resolve getutent