debian potato - selecting 'profile' to install now gone?

debian potato - selecting 'profile' to install now gone?

Post by Leopold Maure » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hi!

I've tried finding an answer to this problem with deja and on the
debian-site... couldn't find anything and now I ask for your help:

I try to install debian 2.2 and everything runs fine, except that i'm
missing the option to install profiles instead of packages/dselect. I would
like to install a profile, as this seems easier than going through the
packages.

greetings and thanks fr yr attention,

mike

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've tried finding an answer to this problem with deja and on the
>debian-site... couldn't find anything and now I ask for your help:

>I try to install debian 2.2 and everything runs fine, except that i'm
>missing the option to install profiles instead of packages/dselect. I would
>like to install a profile, as this seems easier than going through the
>packages.

I'm not sure exactly what way the installer looks now (it's some time
since I did a Debian installation from scratch rather than an upgrade),
but in potato the profile system has been partially replaced by various
"tasks". Running 'tasksel' from a root shell after the reboot should (if
tasksel actually gets installed, that is, which I'd hope it would) let
you install those task packages.

*rummage* See:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
         ch-init-config.en.html#s-preselections

(recombine onto one line, of course). This actually says that profiles
are still available - perhaps I ought to try installing Debian on a
scratch partition. :)

--

"Racism is generally the last refuge of the unimportant."

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>I've tried finding an answer to this problem with deja and on the
>>debian-site... couldn't find anything and now I ask for your help:

>>I try to install debian 2.2 and everything runs fine, except that i'm
>>missing the option to install profiles instead of packages/dselect. I would
>>like to install a profile, as this seems easier than going through the
>>packages.

>I'm not sure exactly what way the installer looks now (it's some time
>since I did a Debian installation from scratch rather than an upgrade),
>but in potato the profile system has been partially replaced by various
>"tasks". Running 'tasksel' from a root shell after the reboot should (if
>tasksel actually gets installed, that is, which I'd hope it would) let
>you install those task packages.

>*rummage* See:

>  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
>         ch-init-config.en.html#s-preselections

>(recombine onto one line, of course). This actually says that profiles
>are still available - perhaps I ought to try installing Debian on a
>scratch partition. :)

>--

>"Racism is generally the last refuge of the unimportant."

My recent experience is on one system that Debian rebooted to an active
apt-get session.  I have gotten out of the dselect stuff as early as
possible and then apt-got stuff from the basic system.  This took me a
while; but it was fun :)

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. debian 'potato' new install: taking advantage of a shared Internet connection

I have a Windows NT 4.0 system that has Internet access,
SprintBroadband. This WinNT system is also networked to another
Windows system on a simple home LAN (hub, 3 NICs (2 for the WinNT
gateway machine and the other Windows system)). Intenet access is
served up via NAT.

I'm trying to take advantage of this high-bandwidth Internet
connection to install Linux. Debian has this apt utility which allows
this method of install.

Problem:
When 'apt' (via 'dselect') tries to get a connection to the URL, it is
unsuccessful. What is the missing link? I can ping the WinNT system on
the LAN without a problem. However, I can't ping any public IP
addresses. Do I need masquerade package installed on the Linux system
first? I thought IP masquerading was only required on the server
machine?

Conceptually, I know that I need IP address translation. I'm just not
sure which system is responsible, etc.

Using manual labor, I was able to copy enough of the debian mirror to
install a basic system off of my local filesystem. However, it is
tedious and I'd just like to point 'apt' at a mirror and be done with
the hassles of moving around directories from one system to another.

[Please don't recommend setting up the Linux system as the Internet
server. I knew it is better than any Windows based gateway. :O I have
no authroity over the other system and its connection.  :)

Thanks.

2. Question : how to list all open files on a file system ? Please could you help.

3. Debian 'potato' and Onboard Sound

4. Matrox Meteor Frame Grabber installation...

5. Debian 'potato': Soundblaster 16 Hell

6. pnpdump, isapnp, now what ?

7. Debian Potato 2.2r3 doesn't get my Compaq NC3121 network adapter run

8. Firewall

9. Debian Potato: what's wrong with Sawfish 0.34

10. Debian Potato 2.2r3 doesn't get my Compaq NC3121 network adapter run

11. 3COM 3C905C-TX won't work with Debian potato

12. Debian Potato on OldWorld Pmac -- Mouse doesn't work