How do you update libc?

Post by Jeff Messne » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Though I'm using the latest Linux kernel (2.0.33), I think it is now
about time that I also update some of the other stuff on my system,
namely "libc".  I have been having no luck running Java apps using the
latest port of JDK 1.1.5 (libc version).  The older JDK 1.1.3 runs okay
on my system.  The 1.1.5 documentation indicates that my libc and other
libs are too old.

I've spent days surfing the net, not finding anything that clearly
explains HOW-TO update these libraries, or what they're even for.

My system is installed from an old set of Slackware CD's that had Kernel
v2.0.0.

From ldconfig -v:
-------------
/lib:
        libdl.so.1 => libdl.so.1.7.14
        libncurses.so.3.0 => libncurses.so.3.0
        libtermcap.so.2 => libtermcap.so.2.0.8
        libm.so.5 => libm.so.5.0.6
        libgdbm.so.1 => libgdbm.so.1.7.3
        libcurses.so.1 => libcurses.so.1.0.0
        libc.so.5 => libc.so.5.3.12
        libe2p.so.2 => libe2p.so.2.1
        libss.so.2 => libss.so.2.0
        libext2fs.so.2 => libext2fs.so.2.0
        libcom_err.so.2 => libcom_err.so.2.0
        libc.so.4 => libc.so.4.7.6
        libm.so.4 => libm.so.4.6.27
        libcurses.so.0 => libcurses.so.0.1.2

I did look at the Linux HOW-TO for Glibc2.  To build & install it, you
must meet this list of prerequisites:
------------(from Glibc2 Linux HOW-TO)------------
       About 150 MB free disk space
       GNU make 3.75
       gcc >= 2.7.2 (better 2.7.2.1)
       binutils 2.8.1 (for alpha you need a snapshot)
       bash 2.0
       autoconf 2.12 (if you change configure.in)
       texinfo 3.11

GOOD GRIEF!

I have:
--------
GNU make 3.74 (naturally)
gcc 2.7.2
binutils2.6.0.14 (i think?   /usr/lib/libopcodes.so.2.6.0.14  )
bash 1.14.6
...what the heck is "autoconf"?  where do i get it?
...what the heck is "texinfo"?  where do i get it?

So far, I've downloaded Bash 2.01.1 & built it ok.  I downloaded the
binutils 2.8.1 binaries and gnu-make 3.76.1, but haven't installed
them.  Binutils is just a big set of files and no instructions... is it
safe to just untar that file in the root directory???  I've downloaded
gcc 2.8.1, read the INSTALL file about 6 times, and then it dawned on
me... this is a big pain in the ass, especially not knowing really what
I'm doing.  I just wanted to use JDK1.1.5.

It'd be nice if I could upgrade to Glibc, since from what I've read,
it's the nicest newest libc-of-the-future, with posix threads and blah
blah blah.  Maybe it would be easier to install the latest libc5...?
Why is there not a HOW-TO for libc?

In all of my surfing & reading, I've also read about other things that I
really just don't know what they are and why I need them, like ncurses,
libdl, libld,...  my head hurts.

If anyone can point me to some actually-useful information regarding
these issues, I'll be very happy, and write a very nice email to you
thanking you for your efforts.  :-)

Jeff Messner

How do you update libc?

Post by Paul Kimo » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> Though I'm using the latest Linux kernel (2.0.33), I think it is now
> about time that I also update some of the other stuff on my system,
> namely "libc".
> I've spent days surfing the net, not finding anything that clearly
> explains HOW-TO update these libraries, or what they're even for.

You want to look at the GCC-HOWTO
(e.g., http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/GCC-HOWTO.html).

Quote:> Binutils is just a big set of files and no instructions... is it
> safe to just untar that file in the root directory???

If you mean a file named something like binutils-2.w.x.y.z.bin.tar.gz,
the instructions are in a separate file named release.binutils-w.x.y.z.
Related components are libc-5.x.y.bin.tar.gz, gcc-2.x.y.z.bin.tar.gz, and
their associated release.blah files.  (These should be mirrored widely from
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/.)

Quote:> I've downloaded
> gcc 2.8.1, read the INSTALL file about 6 times, and then it dawned on
> me... this is a big pain in the ass, especially not knowing really what
> I'm doing.

This would seem to be the GCC source distribution.  GCC 2.8.1 does not seem
to be considered ready for all purposes Linux yet.  Those on the cutting
edge appear to prefer the EGCS version (see http://egcs.cygnus.com/).

Quote:> It'd be nice if I could upgrade to Glibc, since from what I've read,
> it's the nicest newest libc-of-the-future, with posix threads and blah
> blah blah.  Maybe it would be easier to install the latest libc5...?

Yes.

Don't install libc6 on a libc5 system unless you are confident you
understand all the issues.

--
|||    "It was not granted you to complete the task, and           |||
|||     yet you may not give it up."      --Rabbi Tarfon           |||

1. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

Hi,
  I'm trying to compile on a solaris system after doing a fresh os
install with developer bundles and c/c++ WS Pro compilers. /usr/lib
contains libc.so but no libc.a, <whereis libc.a> points to libc.so, but
my makefiles fail because they can't find the correct .a library files.
Where am I going wrong? What's the difference between the two? And, why
doesn't /usr/lib contain all my .a libraries? Any help would be
appreciated. I'm new to solaris development and am having a really hard
time setting up my environment to compile.

Very frustrated,

Steve

2. Problem with Viewsonic P775

3. libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6

4. chroot a user?

5. X lib cannot be accessed after updating libc

6. Check if a host is up

7. updated libc?

8. basic questions

9. updating libc and curses. problem.